Gay Guide to Belfast

Belfast’s nightlife is bigger and better than ever, but some of you are bound to be getting bored of going to the same old places. If you’re sick of the bog standard straight nightclubs… fancy something new?

| UPDATED belfast GAY kremlin lgbtq taboo union street

Whether you’re a drag queen with more heels than Carrie Bradshaw or a straight person just looking for a fun night out without worrying about people judging you for dancing to spice girls mega mix, some of these places are definitely worth a try. Leave your prejudices at the door and experience the fabulous side of Belfast!

Our beautiful Belfast drag queens enjoying the sun at Gay Pride!

First off, we have the original go-to gay bars

Kremlin

Famous for being the biggest gay bar in Belfast, with two dance floors, a cocktail bar and a VIP section you’ll never be bored. Music is fantastic, playing everything from current top 40 music to spice girls and Madonna mega-mixes. Perfect for a fun night out, and with unbeatable drinks offers, including club 180 every Tuesday in which every drink is £1.80 it’s the place to be.

Enjoying a cocktail in Kremlin’s cocktail bar

Union Street

Known as the quieter pub around the corner from Kremlin. This bar is great for predrinks before Kremlin with half price cocktails from 5-7pm weekdays and all drinks £2 from 7-9pm Sunday-Friday, or even those who just want a quiet drink with friends during the week.

A word of warning though, when the drag queen’s take the stage this place comes alive! All week long some of Belfast’s best performers host everything from cabaret shows, karaoke nights (Thursday and Saturday for those of you brave enough) and game shows with spot prizes up to £250. Not to mention the fabulous tranny bingo, like normal bingo, but more fabulous.

If you haven’t been to Union Street on a Sunday night, you’re missing out big time.

Tranny legs 11… number 11 anyone?!

Then there are the night clubs a bit closer to the average straight night club layout-

El Divino-Forbidden Fruit

This well known club turns into a gay friendly night out every Monday with forbidden fruit. The club aims for those who prefer to dance all night and has more of the feel of straight bars like Box.

The smoking area has a fantastic view over the river and the music is mainly top 40, meaning you can have a good drunken sing along, should the tequila urge you to do so.

The lovely Marty enjoying the festive season at El Divino!

The Titanic Bar- Yard 401

Formerly known as Frames, Yard 401 in Little Donegall Street (around the corner from Kremlin and Union Street bars) has a gay night every Saturday night called ‘Candy Crush’ – no relation to the life-ruining Facebook game. Situated right in the centre of Belfast’s gay scene, this bar is buzzing with popular dance anthems and current music.

DJ Emma Buchanan hard at work in Yard 401

Taboo Club Night

Feeling like going somewhere closer to home? QUBSU occasionally hosts its own fabulous gay night called Taboo, advertised as the “straight friendly gay night” it attracts gay and straight students alike looking for a good time right on your doorstep. Even better, the (cheap) entry price of £3 goes towards funding our very own QUB LGBT society.

Next club night is on Thursday 20th February and much like normal SU club nights they play a good variety of chart music and club anthems. They also have some amazing drinks promotions including 3-4-£5 on most Spirits/Bottles/Shots and £4 for Double Vodka & RedBull so you’re not too out of pocket by the end of the night and can still afford a dodgy Chinese on the way home.

Busy as always and all for a good cause!