Because We’re… Happy?

Research carried out by Jetpac has analysed millions of Instagram photos across the UK, sizing up smiles from different cities and making a lovely list of the places with the happiest citizens. And incredibly, Belfast has topped the list.

belfast happy Parlour Thompsons

Yes, unbelievably Belfast nabbed the top spot, with a Smile Score of 34.29. I know, I found it hard to believe too. Until they revealed that nine of the ten “Happiest places in Belfast” happened to be bars. Ah, it suddenly makes sense.

The Parlour Bar, a favourite spot for skint, starving students, scooped the number one spot. While at first this might seem surprising- as anyone who has ever been to Parlour under the cover of darkness would know- it’s not altogether undeserved. After all, where would we all have been without Parlour to turn to when our dodgy fake IDs were rejected by that scary woman bouncer in Union? Many a sixteen year old has found solace in The Parlour smoking area.

Recently, The Parlour has had a make-over, changing its clientele from the slightly scary to an altogether friendlier crowd who enjoy wine coolers served in quirky watering cans, £2.50 quaffer bombs and 3 drinks for a fiver. Yes, THREE DRINKS FOR A FIVER.

These unbeatable prices combined with events like the infamous Beat BBQ and pizza for two quid are more than enough to ensure the people of Belfast are happy. Maybe it’s not so surprising The Parlour Bar is number one for smiles.

Also featuring on the list is Thompsons Garage. Ah Thompsons, the dark place where troubles are forgotten and nasal cavities are eaten away. This dark place has had a reputation for trouble since its humble beginnings but that doesn’t make it any less fun.

It’s also one of the only clubs in the whole of Belfast that stays open until 3am which means that if you’re reluctant to go home, Thompsons is the place you’ll likely end up.

Aside from the late opening, it is the music which is undoubtedly the best thing about the club, Friday night at Thompsons is a necessity for house music lovers.

Even if you’re not a fan of music “that doesn’t have any words” you can amuse yourself watching the wipeouts dance. It’s true that if you leave your bag/drink/dignity unattended you’ll likely never see it again but the best way to deal with Thompsons is to just embrace it for what it is.

How else would it have achieved number 6 on the list of happiest places in Belfast? Of course, bear in mind that the majority of “smiles” pictured at Thompsons are probably the ecstatic grins of people who enjoy the types of “Classes” you can’t take at Uni.

So where else do people go to get happy?

Belfast’s Top 10 ‘Happiest’ Places

1. The Parlour Bar
  2. Springsteens Diner
  3. Kremlin
  4. 21 Social
  5. The King’s Head
  6. Thompsons
  7. Filthy McNastys
  8. McCrackens
  9. Laverys
  10. The Hudson Bar

Want to show off your happiness at any of our top 10 places? Send your toothy grin selfies to [email protected] or tweet us @TheTabBelfast