Aber to host a student-led debate on the EU referendum

Both sides want to win over your vote

You’re probably aware that there is a referendum approaching on whether Britain will continue to be a part of the European Union.

As the date draws close the two campaigns for ‘In’ and ‘Out’ have stepped up their efforts to try and persuade you to their corresponding camps. Here in Aber students have organised a public debate to take place at the Union at 19:30 on the 28th of this month.

As this referendum is one of the most important faced by this country in some years we approached both student leaders to get their opinions on why you should attend the debate, but also why they think their arguments are the most convincing.

Mark the date in your books

Jean François-Poncet, Aber In:

When asked why he thought this debate was important Jean said:

“Since this referendum could change the fate of UK forever, it is important for everyone to be well aware of what the European Union is what it stands for and the consequences of a Brexit.

In order to make such a choice it is vital for the people to understand what the EU has achieved and done before the vote this is why it is important for people to come to the debate.”

“This is a student led debate, people will have the opportunity to see both sides of the argument made by the young generation. And the young generation is important as they are the ones who are going to be the most affected by the outcome of the referendum.”

These guys and gals want to stay in the EU

The Tab asked why he thinks British and Commonwealth students should vote to stay:

“The EU gives the opportunity to Aberystwyth students to go abroad through Erasmus+ in many countries from the Union and outside. But most importantly the European single market allows the development of the U.K.’s economy which is vital for employment and since most student will be looking for a job in only a few years.

For the ones wish to continue to study their fate will be quite uncertain as the EU is funding enormous amount of research.”

Andrew Wilmot, VoteLeave:

Here is why Andrew thought this debate is important:

“Students generally don’t buy newspapers, and don’t tend to vote, so are ignored by both the media and politicians. Debates like this are the best way to hear from students why students should leave/stay.”

“This debate concerns a decision with far greater impact than any other debate held here in recent years. It dwarves anything party politics wise, and we simply won’t get another shot at this.”

This camp want to leave the EU behind

The Tab asked why he thinks British and Commonwealth students should vote to leave:

“All Aber students that can should Vote Leave! There’s been so much scaremongering from the IN campaign about things like Erasmus, and that no one from Europe would ever be able to come here, but that’s simply not true. What is true is that the EU’s relevance on a global scale is decreasing and dragging us down with it. We should get off this sinking ship.”

“Ironically, Aberystwyth is one of the areas that has most to lose if we vote to stay. As an area in which public services are of the utmost importance, Aberystwyth has a lot to lose when TTIP comes in. The risk of TTIP far outweighs the risk of losing the 3 per cent of R&D funding that comes from the EU.”