We asked local businesses if the opening of Fferm Penglais will screw them over

More students are choosing to live on campus rather than town

The new 1,000 room accommodation block at Fferm Penglais could have a detrimental impact on the economy and potentially cause shops to close, local business owners have said.

According to the latest figures, the university provides accommodation for half the student popular while the remainder rent private property in town.

The university does not keep official figures on the amount of senior students in its residences, but the number of students living on campus slightly increased last year, suggesting more and more third years are making the move back to campus.

Are uni halls killing the highstreet?

Asked about the latest development on campus, local landlady Marian said: “They have absolutely undercut the market.

“I have two houses: one is empty and the other is only half full – it’s really affecting my income not having these students in town.

“Aberystwyth’s industry is built around providing for students, with less of them coming because of costs and even less living in town there’s just no money circulating.

“I doubt the new accommodation block is even full, and having students up there is going to have a detrimental effect on all of Aberystwyth’s services.”

Has Fferme Penglais doomed local landlords?

But local shopkeeper Monica disagreed, saying: “I don’t think it’s really affecting the town.

“The students have to go somewhere to shop and drink – even if they live on campus.

“I haven’t noticed any change in our business – if anything I’d say more students anywhere is a good thing.”

Recent graduate Alice, who now works for a local business in Aber, said high rental prices are the real concern: “In my opinion, the big problem are the landlords.

“Half the houses here are for students and most of them are empty.

“I can’t find anywhere to live because it’s so expensive, the landlords take advantage of the students by providing horrible houses.

“If I were a student I would move back to campus in a heartbeat.

“I do think the bars might be hit by more students on campus, but everybody else will be fine.”

In a statement, the university said: “The Fferm Penglais investment will mean that the University is well placed to compete in an increasingly competitive student market, where the student experience is paramount.

“These investments are also hugely significant for the economy of Aberystwyth and the surrounding area and will benefit both the town and the University in the long term.

“Since it opened its doors for the first time in 1872, the University and the town have enjoyed an enviable town and gown relationship which continues to this day.

“Together they offer one of the best student experiences anywhere, and the University looks forward to capitalising on this.”