Shawn Mendes Camila Cabello

Shawn Mendes opens up on status with Camila Cabello rn amid Sabrina Carpenter drama

‘Camila and I have done the best job at preserving our private little fire of love for each other’

The Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello and Sabrina Carpenter love triangle drama has been keeping me fed recently, all building up to that VMAs showdown. After Camila Cabello and Sabrina Carpenter both made songs this year that allegedly referenced both each other and their respective relationships with Shawn Mendes, trying to explain the drama and all the nods and winks at their messy love lives has been a body of work of dissertation length. Shawn Mendes has just spilled the latest update on his status with Camila Cabello after she and Sabrina Carpenter hinted at their past romances on their 2024 C,XOXO and Short N Sweet albums – and he was extremely candid.

Speaking on the Jay Shetty On Purpose podcast, Shawn said his split from Camila was “Brutal. Honestly, I think Camila and I have just done the best job at preserving our private little fire of love for each other. Because no matter how strong mentally you are, when there are millions of people commenting on it it’s so hard not to be affected by it and to be swayed by it and be inspired by it into desire, or hate it because people hate it. It’s just human.

“I feel like Camila and I have just worked extremely hard to protect each other, and protect that love. If I’m being completely honest, I don’t really go on social media anymore. I don’t see or care what people say about my love life or my relationships because it’s too detrimental to the actual relationship itself. I’ve become pretty strict on that part of it. It’s crazy. We’re not in a movie.”

The comment comes after all three of the Camila Cabello, Shawn Mendes and Sabrina Carpenter all performed at the VMAs, and Camila did a breakup song smashing up a laptop that people thought referenced Sabrina’s Emails I Can’t Send album cover.

For context, Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello had a highly publicised relationship from 2019 to 2021. They collaborated on a couple of songs before they got together. Shawn Mendes hadn’t been known to be dating anyone since, but was pictured on dates with Sabrina Carpenter in early 2023.T he entirety of Carpenter’s Taste video and the lyrics that make up the song are rumoured to detal Sabrina’s supposed interpretation that Camila is obsessed with her and with Shawn. People have been theorising that Jenna Ortega is meant to be playing a representation of Camila Cabello in the violent video

Shawn has repeatedly shut down any rumours he and Sabrina were dating. However, a lot of the lyrics on Short N Sweet allude to the fact that a man from Sabrina’s past was constantly saying the situation wasn’t serious when she felt like it was. She was also pictured in Shawn Mendes’ clothes frequently.

hawn and Camila also are said to have hooked up and rekindled their relationship briefly in the summer of last year. Camila’s final song on her latest album C, XOXO – features the, um, spicy lyrics:

If she’s so amazing, why are you on this side of town?If you like her so much, what are you here trying to find out?

Does she get this wet for you, baby?Talk to you in poems and songs, huh, baby?

Camila hints at a man coming back to her even though he’s now with someone else. Just as the Sabrina Carpenter drama starts swirling regarding what Taste could be about, Camila Cabello posts a video lip syncing to those very sus Shawn Mendes suspected lyrics from June Gloom. The timing is wild.

For more like this article plus all the latest news, drops, quizzes and memes, like The Tab on Facebook