Shakira Barbie

Shakira said Barbie was ’emasculating’ for her sons and she’s been dragged online for it

Shakira and her boys ‘hated’ it

Shakira has spoken about her feelings on Greta Gerwig’s Barbie film, and the comments she made about it have not gone down well online – especially when relating her opinion on it to her sons.

In a new interview with Allure, Shakira said that her sons “hated” the hugely popular, critically acclaimed box office smash and said they felt it was “emasculating”, and that she agreed with their take.

“My sons absolutely hated it. They felt that it was emasculating. And I agree, to a certain extent. I’m raising two boys. I want ‘em to feel powerful too [while] respecting women.

“I like pop culture when it attempts to empower women without robbing men of their possibility to be men, to also protect and provide. I believe in giving women all the tools and the trust that we can do it all without losing our essence, without losing our femininity. I think that men have a purpose in society and women have another purpose as well. We compliment each other, and that compliment should not be lost.”

The comments were met with a lot of backlash online, and a lot of memes as people took the piss about Shakira and her Barbie stance giving big toxic masculinity vibes and seemingly completely missing the entire point of Greta Gerwig’s film.

Seems like Shakira wants her sons in a Mojo Dojo Casa House or nothing.

For all the latest film and entertainment news, memes and other fun stuff, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook.

More Barbie stories recommended by this writer:

Take this quiz and we’ll tell you which Barbie movie Ken would date you

Just 29 signs that you’re definitely living in a Mojo Dojo Casa *Uni* House

Take this quiz and we’ll tell you which Barbie from the film matches your overall vibe

Shakira featured image via Shutterstock.