Mary Earps SPOTY

All Mary Earps has achieved since securing icon status at the Women’s World Cup

Yet Piers Morgan claims she doesn’t deserve to win Sports Personality of the Year

Mary Earps is one of the most adored players in women’s football. She played a pivotal role in England reaching the Women’s World Cup final, has scooped endless accolades for her performance on the pitch and, fundamentally, made goalkeeping cool for a new generation of girls who’re getting into the game.

Yet, since Mary won the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year 2023 award last night, many men have crawled out of the woodwork claiming she doesn’t deserve the recognition:

“To win before Ronnie O’Sullivan and Frankie Dettori…? Well, that’s just madness to me,” Joey Barton – who played for England for a grand total of 12 minutes – wrote on Twitter. “Both almost genius like in their respective fields. They’ve lost to a big sack of spuds that plays in goal for a girls team.”

So, far all who need a small reminder, here’s all Mary Earps has achieved since securing icon status at the Woman’s World Cup this summer:

That “fuck off” penalty save

Mary Earps had an unreal Women’s World Cup. She conceded just three goals in the entire tournament and saved Jennifer Hermoso’s 68th minute penalty in the final against Spain, earning her the Golden Glove for the tournament’s best keeper and a spot in the internet’s hall of fame for the most passionate shout of “fuck off” we’d seen since Jill Scott’s clash with Sydney Lohmann in the UEFA Women’s Championships final against Germany in 2022.

Winning England Women’s Player of the Year

For aforementioned reasons x

Mugging off Nike for not selling her goalkeeper shirt

For some unfathomable reason, Nike refused to sell Mary’s shirt during the Women’s World Cup. “I can’t really sugarcoat this any way so I’m not going to try, it’s hugely disappointing and very hurtful,” she responded to the decision. “It’s a very scary message that’s being sent to goalkeepers worldwide that ‘you’re not important’,” she added.

petition for Nike to sell Mary’s shirt was then launched and reached more than 30,000 signatures. When the brand finally gave in after the tournament had ended in October, Mary’s shirt sold out within minutes.

Getting an honorary doctorate from Loughborough University

Dr Earps!

Playing in the Women’s Super League with Manchester United

Mary’s team Manchester United are currently fourth in the Women’s Super League table, winning three out of their last five matches. “Strong performance + 3 points to take back to Manchester,” she wrote of their latest win against Leyton Orient FC.

Although there are big rumours she could be joining Leah Williamson, Alessia Russo and Beth Mead at Arsenal…

Winning the BBC’s Women’s Football of the Year 2023

There’s no award she won’t win.

Being an all round role model for her teammates and fans

When Mary was nominated for the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year award it was obvious how much her England teammates looked up to her from her nomination video. “I just love talking about Mary,” gushed Alessia Russo. “It’s not in her nature to give up on her dream,” added Lucy Bronze.

@attackingthird

Mary Earps had to console this young fan before taking a picture. ❤️ The Lionesses are role models. 🥹 🎥: TW/fanzinewsl #lionesses #maryearps #manutd #manchesterunited #wsl

♬ original sound – AttackingThird

And Mary always exhibits intense kindness to her fans off the pitch, too. Most recently, a video of her greeting a fan who was uncontrollably crying at a game went viral. “I know, it’s a lot isn’t it,” Mary told her. “It’s alright mate,” she added with a hug. It’s so wholesome I honestly can’t.

• Boujee holidays and TikTok fame: Inside Lioness Mary Earps’ life off the pitch

All the best dressed Lionesses at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards

• Inside the incredibly vibey Instagrams of the Women’s World Cup England squad 

Featured image credit via Chris Putnam/Shutterstock