From Oxford to Newcastle, this is where all the Love Actually cast went to uni

Of course the guy playing our Prime Minister went to Oxford

Love Actually might be full of a load of jokes which have aged like milk, which forced director Richard Curtis to finally address them a while back, but it’s still easily thought of as one of the best Christmas films around, with an even better cast. Like genuinely, you’ve got British icons popping up left right and centre in this film and everyone knows everyone.

So instead of actually doing your own uni essays and assignments, grab a cheeky hot choc and have a look at where the cast Love Actually went to uni:

Hugh Grant – University of Oxford

Of course, the character playing the UK Prime Minister had to go to Oxford. Hugh Grant studied English at New College Oxford in 1979. He got a 2:1 and performed in a uni production of Twelfth Night. Describing his time at uni, he said he “became a socialite really. I went to parties and was pretentious.”

Colin Firth – Drama Centre London

Via David Hartley/Shutterstock

In 1980, Colin Firth went to the Drama Centre London, which is now part of the University of Arts London and Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design.

Then in 2007, he was given an honorary degree from the University of Winchester.

Emma Thompson – University of Cambridge

Another Oxbridge girlie, Emma Thomspon studied at Newham College Cambridge. At uni, the Love Actually icon described herself as a “punk rocker” with short red hair and a motorbike. She was the first female member of Footlights, the unis sketch comedy group also attended by Stephen Fry.

Bill Nighy – Guildford School of Acting

Love Actually’s Billy Mack first applied for the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts after leaving school with two O-levels but was rejected and instead went to Guildford School of Acting.

Keira Knightley – Didn’t go

Kera Knightley didn’t go to uni before starring in Love Actually. She finished school and started studying for her A-Levels at Esher College in Surrey but left after a year to begin her acting career.

Alan Rickman – Royal College of Art and Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts

Alan Rickman actually started out as a graphic designer before becoming an actor and so went to the Royal College of Art from 1968 to 1970 and went on to get a job at a magazine. He then changed his ambitions to acting and went to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in 1972.

Liam Neeson – Queen’s University Belfast

Liam Neeson studied physics and computer science at Queen’s University Belfast but never graduated as he left to work for the Guinness factory.

In 2009, Liam Neeson was given an honorary degree by Queen’s and he joked that he “finally” would be able to tell his mum that he graduated.

Thomas Brodie-Sangster – Didn’t go

Thomas Brodie Sangster didn’t go to uni, with being a child star and all. He starred in Love Actually when he was 11 and did his GCSEs and A-levels but didn’t go to uni as his ” patience for education at that point was wearing thin.”

Martin Freeman – Royal Central School of Speech and Drama

Martin Freeman went to the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama in London to study acting.

Joanna Page – Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts

Love Actually uni

Joanna Page is another Love Actually star who went to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA). I bet Bill Nighy is well jel.

Rowan Atkinson – Newcastle University and University of Oxford

Love Actually uni

An educated legend! Rowan Atkinson did electrical engineering at Newcastle University before doing his masters at The Queen’s College Oxford also in electrical engineering. The Queen’s College Oxford also made him an honorary fellow in 2006.

Martine McCutcheon – Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts

Love Actually uni

Martin McCutcheon went to Italia Conti School of Theatre Arts where she received a scholarship from the Reeves Foundation, a Church of England charity based in London.

Andrew Lincoln – Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts

Love Actually uni

Andrew Lincoln (which is actually a stage name? His real name is Andrew Clutterbuck) is another Love Actually cast member who went to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. It was at RADA he started using his stage name.

Chiwetel Ejiofor – London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts

Love Actually uni

Chiwetel Ejiofor went to the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts after being in the National Youth Theatre. But he left after his first year after being cast in the Steven Spielberg film Amistad.

Laura Linney – Brown University and Julliard School Love Actually uni

Laura Linney, who plays Sarah in the film went to the Ivy League Brown University in the US to study acting before going to the prestigious Julliard Performing Arts School in 1986.

Kris Marshall – Redroofs Theatre School

Love Actually uni

Kris Marshall, who plays Colin Frissell in Love Actually went to the Redroofs Theatre School in Maidenhead after initially failing his A-Levels.