Sam Thompson Pete Wicks ADHD Autism

Pete Wicks is right, we should embrace Sam Thompson’s golden retriever energy

I’m A Celeb viewers have been hating on how enthusiastic he is

Since I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here returned for its 2023 series last Sunday, Made in Chelsea’s Sam Thompson has shown himself to be one of the kindest and most considerate campmates amongst this year’s cohort of contestants.

Yet, Sam has faced relentless trolling on Twitter and TikTok for being “attention seeking”, “annoying” and “irritating” thanks to his boundless energy, which he’s previously detailed relates to his recent ADHD diagnosis.

And, after seven days of never-ending public judgement of Sam has taken over the timeline (along with some serious Nella Rose hate) Sam’s best friend – TOWIE’s Pete Wicks – has spoken up in his defence:

“Sam struggles with boredom and a lot of things because of his ADHD and autism but that shouldn’t be seen as a bad thing,” Pete told the MailOnline. “I have read a lot of comments and it’s something that I believe shouldn’t define him.

“People should embrace that because he’s entertaining and that’s what the show is about,” he continued. “[Sam] should be defined by the fact that he’s a really fun, positive guy and that’s his personality aside from having ADHD and autism.”

Earlier this year, Sam spoke about his ADHD diagnosis in a documentary for Channel 4 called Is This ADHD? “I really struggle to concentrate, can’t stay still for very long,” he said. “I struggle with emotional control. It’s nice to know that there is something happening in my brain that might be different to other people because a lot of the time I just thought I was a dick.”

It’s important to remember that whatever judgement critics are heaping on Sam, he has already judged himself harder. Plus, this likeability debate online around his Tigger-like personality should never have possessed undertones of albeism.

Sam is enthusiastic, positive and fun. Rather than hating on his energy levels, we should surely be enjoying the kindness and charisma he brings to I’m A Celeb. Particularly when hanger and homesickness are already getting the better of most other contestants.

‘I just wept, I got really emotional’: What Sam Thompson has said about his ADHD diagnosis

• A dramatic recap of the whole Zara McDermott and Sam Thompson cheating scandal

• Ranked: The stonking huge net worths of the I’m A Celeb 2023 campmates

Featured image credit via ITV/Shutterstock