Get Gotti on Netflix: What happened to infamous mafia boss John Gotti and how did he die?

He had been found guilty of multiple crimes and sentenced to life without parole

Netflix has just released a three part documentary series called Get Gotti, which dives into the life of infamous mafia boss, John Gotti.

In 1985 John Gotti was the most powerful man in New York. But, with that he also became the most surveilled. He had started off robbing vans, but then his involvement in the public execution of “Boss of Bosses” Paul Castellano set in motion a series of events that catapulted the young mobster to the helm of America’s most powerful mafia family, the Gambinos.

As Gotti’s criminal enterprise extended deep into the heart of the city, law enforcement and state prosecutors scrambled for a chance to bring the charismatic Godfather to his knees.

John Gotti, Get Gotti on Netflix

via Netflix

So, what happened to John Gotti and how did he die?

John Gotti was born in the Bronx, New York City, on October 27th 1940, as the fifth of 13 children. Growing up, John Gotti was known to skip school, and got involved with New York street gangs. He married Victoria DiGiorgio in 1962, and together they had five children.

The Netflix documentary is set in 1985, when John Gotti is at the height of his criminal career. However, his behaviour meant the police were hot on keeping an eye on him, and were desperate to bring Gotti down. He was arrested and charged several times, including arrests for assault and racketeering, but as with many mafia cases, police could never get the charges to come to anything.

Gotti became infamous for getting off with crimes, and gained the nickname “Teflon Don” following a string of acquitals.

In 1991, Gotti was sold out by his underboss, Salvatore ‘Sammy the Bull’ Gravano when he had heard Gotti making comments to the FBI which implicated them both in numerous murders. In 1992, Gravano had turned fully on Gotti, and finally the police had enough to make charges stick.

John Gotti, Get Gotti on Netflix

via Netflix

He was found guilty of racketeering, obstruction of justice, tax evasion, extortion, illegal gambling, loansharking, five murders and conspiracy to commit murder, and sentenced to life without parole. After his sentencing, Gotti was transferred to United States Penitentiary, Marion.

John Gotti died in prison on June 10th, 2002. Whilst in the United States Medical Center for Federal Prisoners, Springfield, Missouri, Gotti was being treated for throat cancer, and died four years after his initial diagnosis.

Get Gotti is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.