Penn Badgley and Cardi B

A deep dive into the incredible friendship between Penn Badgley and Cardi B

Since her song featured in season four of YOU, Cardi B’s changed her Twitter picture to be Joe Goldberg

It’s the most incredible celebrity friendship we didn’t know we needed until we had it: Penn Badgley and Cardi B. Honestly, I really didn’t think these two worlds would ever collide, yet here we are.

The pair started their friendship back in 2021, and now with a new season of YOU out on Netflix, it’s all come back around again. So, here’s a full rundown of their interactions, so far.

Cardi B and Penn Badgley started an online friendship in 2021, after Cardi B said she was a huge fan of YOU

Right, this iconic celeb friendship all started in October 2021, when a 2019 interview with Penn Badgley resurfaced. In it, Penn said Cardi B has a great relationship with her fans on social media.

“I really appreciate people who have this sort of totally second-nature relationship with [social media],” he said. “Cardi B is a great example of that. She has such an authentic relationship. To me, it’s this incredibly nuanced place to be. Despite what many might judge as antics and all this, I feel like she has an incredibly authentic relationship to that, and that’s why people like her so much.”

Following this going around again, Cardi B found the clip and was pretty excited Penn Badgley knows who she is. “Yo like I’m famous famous,” she said in a tweet.

Obviously, Penn being the coy and modest king he is, quoted this tweet pretty shocked that she would be this excited.

Then what followed was truly iconic. Penn changed his Twitter profile picture to be of Cardi B, and she changed hers to be Penn. I love it for them, I truly do.

Netflix then got involved, saying Cardi B should be in season four

Netflix obviously had to get involved in the fun, and changed its Twitter bio to read: “Petition to get Cardi B to guest star in season four of YOU”.

Because Cardi is now a certified YOU mega fan, she then got a PR package from Netflix which included a Joe Goldberg style hat, and a monologue from the lover boy killer himself.

It read: “HELLO, YOU… My stalking and killing may make me a certified freak, seven days a week, but it also brought me to… you. Cardi B, you have a way with social media. You’re meaningful. Substantive. I just like you. You’re authentic and nuanced…just as you are with your music. You keep me on my toes, the ones that are left, at least. You can’t be caged in, and it’s refreshing. Can’t wait to see you slaying in this hat, but I certainly hope you don’t disappear. Au Revoir, Joe Goldberg.”

Penn Badgley and Cardi B have rekindled things since season four dropped

After Netflix teased Cardi B should have a cameo in season four of YOU – she actually did! Well, sort of. In *that* gross scene in season four, episode one, Cardi B’s song I Like It was playing in the background. It’s obviously hit with her, because she’s only gone and changed her Twitter display picture again.

Amazing.

Part one of season four of YOU is available on Netflix now, with part two dropping on March 9th. For all the latest Netflix news, quizzes, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.