Ranked: These are the top 20 accounts on Instagram with the most followers

How is Beyoncé not in the top 5?

On Instagram the majority of us have a few hundred followers but there are some celebs and brands who are followed by millions of people around the world.

They’ll upload the most basic of pictures and yet still get millions of likes. Their follower counts can determine how much they get paid for sponsored posts and Instagram is the place for all celebs to announce their new relationships, baby news or just casually drop an album.

But which celebs have the highest amount of followers? Amongst the top 20 most followed Instagram accounts are three footballers, four Kardashians and a magazine, but who is the number one most followed person on Instagram ever? Thankfully it’s not Kylie Jenner.

Here are the top 20 most followed people on Instagram:

20. Katy Perry – 107 million

View this post on Instagram

poopedstar

A post shared by KATY PERRY (@katyperry) on

Kicking off the list is Katy Perry who has just over 100 million followers on Instagram. She often posts promotional images for upcoming music releases as well as the occasional more personal photos like this one of her pregnant.

Katy announced the birth of her and Orlando Bloom’s daughter on Instagram and the post gained over five million likes.

19. Miley Cyrus – 115 million

Everyone’s favourite Disney Channel star has grown up to get 115 million Instagram followers. Miley posts videos and pictures promoting her music, as well as travel photos and the occasional Hannah Montana throwback picture.

18. Nike – 122 million

Nike is the only brand to make the list and despite not posting that often they’ve still seemed to rack up a decent amount of followers.

On their Instagram their most recent posts have shown support for Black Lives Matter and tributes to Kobe Bryant.

17. Khloe Kardashian – 122 million

The first of the Kardashian family to make the top 20 most followed people on Instagram is Khloé. She has 122 million followers and posts on the regular.

Khloé’s Instagram is filled with pictures of her daughter True, photoshoots for her brands and of course selfies where she looks like a different person each time.

16. Nicki Minaj – 123 million

View this post on Instagram

#Preggers 💛

A post shared by Barbie (@nickiminaj) on

Narrowly beating Khloé is Nicki Minaj who has 123 million followers. Her most recent posts have included photoshoots that Nicki used to announce her pregnancy and all the photos had millions of likes.

15. Jennifer Lopez – 132 million

View this post on Instagram

Back to basics ✨🤍💙

A post shared by Jennifer Lopez (@jlo) on

Coming in at number 15 in the top 20 most followed people on Instagram is Jennifer Lopez who has 132 million followers.

On her Instagram she honestly just posts a load of fit pictures and why not? I would be on Instagram all day if I looked like J.Lo.

14. Kendall Jenner – 140 million

View this post on Instagram

not no

A post shared by Kendall (@kendalljenner) on

Surprise surprise another Kardashian is on the list, this time it’s Kendall who has 140 million followers. Kendall naturally posts a lot of pictures of herself in cool outfits as well as sharing shoots from magazines she’s in.

13. Taylor Swift – 140 million

View this post on Instagram

🍷 🐍 biiig isolation 🐍 🍷

A post shared by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) on

Narrowly beating Kendall is Taylor Swift who has 140.7 million followers. Taylor has turned off comments on her Instagram posts which she mainly uses to promote her music. Her grid right now is mainly a dedication to her latest album Folklore.

12. Neymar – 142 million

Neymar is the first of three footballers who made the top 20 most followed accounts on Instagram. Neymar has 142 million followers and mainly posts pictures from matches as well as the odd family photo.

11. National Geographic – 145 million

View this post on Instagram

Photo by David Chancellor @chancellordavid / The Enkoyanai pride sits in the warm sun of first light, scanning the grasslands of the Ol Motorogi Conservancy. Ol Motorogi is part of the Maasai Mara Wildlife Conservancies Association, whose aim is to conserve the greater Maasai Mara ecosystem through a network of community-protected areas. The community conservancies here cover an area greater than the National Reserve, which is famous for the wildebeest migration, currently underway. What is not as well known is that significant numbers of herbivores are resident year-round in the conservancies, because grass levels are managed by controlled livestock grazing. This means that predators follow these herbivores. The National Reserve, however, does not currently have a grazing plan. This pride was pushed out of their original territory here by another pride with stronger dominant males, but have recently returned to this landscape—with curiosity and some caution in case they come upon other lions. While there are around 2,000 permanent beds (sleeping quarters for tourists) inside the reserve, some of the community-owned areas outside the reserve can often be better for tourists to visit to see greater numbers of diverse wildlife. Also, income generated from tourism passes directly to the community conservancy landowners. While rangers have recently suffered a 50% salary cut due to the pandemic, as the country reopens to tourism, wildlife and communities will see the benefit of this unique model. To see more from here follow me @chancellordavid. @mmwca #kenya #africa #maasaimara #conservation #lions

A post shared by National Geographic (@natgeo) on

It really warms my heart that National Geographic is in this list. Dunno why, just does. The magazine mainly shares photos from their photographers around the world.

10. Justin Bieber – 148 million

View this post on Instagram

Date night

A post shared by Justin Bieber (@justinbieber) on

Kicking off the top 10 is all of our crushes from our teenage years, Justin Bieber, who has 148 million followers on Instagram. Justin posts a lot of pictures of him with Hailey as well as promoting his clothing company Drew and sharing voting resources.

9. Beyoncé – 155 million

I am stunned that the queen only has 155 million followers but whatever. Beyoncé posts very sporadically and doesn’t caption her photos and yet always ends up with millions of likes.

8. Lionel Messi – 167 million

The second footballer on this list is Lionel Messi who has 167 million followers. He naturally posts a lot of football pictures that he rarely captions, as well as some cute family photos.

7. Kim Kardashian – 190 million

View this post on Instagram

😘

A post shared by Kim Kardashian West (@kimkardashian) on

Yet another Kardashian on the list, Kim must fuming to have missed out on the top five with 190 million followers. Kim posts pictures with her family, fit selfies and promo for her many projects including Skims.

6. Selena Gomez – 194 million

Selena has narrowly missed out on the top five of the most followed people on Instagram with 194 million followers.

On her Instagram Selena posts honest selfies, promo for her makeup company Rare and other projects she’s involved in, including a Netflix documentary she did the voiceover for.

5. Kylie Jenner – 197 million

Of course the queen of Instagram Kylie Jenner is at number five with her 197 million followers. Kylie’s Instagram is full of cute pics of Stormi, fit selfies and promo for Kylie Cosmetics.

No wonder she’s had nearly half the most liked pictures on Instagram ever with that many followers.

4. The Rock – 199 million

Damn The Rock is so close to getting to 200 million followers. His Instagram is a mixture of showing off his insanely muscled body, food pictures and photos with his children.

3. Ariana Grande – 203 million

Coming in at number three is Ariana Grande with her 203 million followers. Her Instagram has a very Tumblr vibe to it and she shares pictures of herself as well as a lot of information about voting in the next election.

2. Cristiano Ronaldo – 239 million

Cristiano Ronaldo is the second most followed person on Instagram with 239 million followers. The footballer posts pictures with his family and many many football photos.

1. Instagram – 370 million

And the award for the account with the most amount of followers is…Instagram. Naturally they’d get themselves top of the list.