Lost Girls: Where are Shannan Gilbert’s three sisters now, after Netflix film?

Her sister Sarra is currently in prison

Last week, Netflix released “Lost Girls” – a dramatised version of the true events of the Long Island serial killer. The film looks at the case of Shannan Gilbert, who went missing in 2010 and was found dead in 2011. It was the persistence of Shannan’s mother Mari, alongside her sisters which lead to police investigating the case further.

Shannan Gilbert was one of four sisters, alongside Sherre, Sarra and Stevie. Here’s where the other siblings are now, since Shannan’s case and the Netflix film.

*Contains details from Lost Girls on Netflix*

Shannan Gilbert sisters, Shannan Gilbert, Sarra Gilbert, Stevie Smith, Sherre Gilbert, Lost Girls, Netflix, real life, now, siblings, sisters, Mari Gilbert, murder, death, guilty, mother, daughter

Mari Gilbert and her four daughters, via Netflix

Sherre Gilbert continues to fight for justice for Shannan

At the end of the Netflix film Lost Girls, it says that Sherre Gilbert remains an advocate for Shannan and continues to fight for justice. Sherre set up a Facebook page dedicated to trying to solve her sister’s death, called Praying for Shannan Maria Gilbert. The page has 4,600 likes and is still active today.

Shannan Gilbert sisters, Shannan Gilbert, Sarra Gilbert, Stevie Smith, Sherre Gilbert, Lost Girls, Netflix, real life, now, siblings, sisters

The most recent post on the Facebook page was yesterday, and shared pictures of the other Long Island victims with the caption: “This film is for all the girls and unidentified victims. Melissa, Megan, Maureen, Amber & Shannan #JusticeForMMMAS”. 

The page shares links and videos to the latest news of the case – which is ongoing and unsolved. In January Sherre posted a news article captioned: “I’m so so hopeful this new DNA technology will be helpful. It’s been way too long. These murders need to be solved. And I think this is the first time I heard my sister’s name on the news and she wasn’t referred to in a derogatory way. Progress.”

Sarra Gilbert was found guilty of killing their mother Mari

After her sister’s death, Sarra Gilbert spent time in and out of mental health facilities. Sarra was diagnosed with schizophrenia. According to reports, the grave circumstances surrounding the death “took its toll” on her both emotionally and mentally. She was living in an apartment with her boyfriend and eight-year-old son, which was on the same street as Mari Gilbert’s apartment.

In July 2016, six years after Shannan went missing, Mari Gilbert died. Her daughter, Sarra, suffered a psychotic episode after coming off medicine for schizophrenia. Mari attempted to interfere but suffered fatal stab wounds. Mari had been visiting her daughter regularly to check up on how she was.

It was said that it was the voices in Sarra’s head which led to her killing her mother. Sarra’s attorney, John Ray, told the Washington Post: “She imaged her mother as a bad god. Voices were telling her what to do.”

Sarra Gilbert was 27-years-old when she was charged with second-degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon in 2016. She told the court: “I love my family, and I’m very sorry for what I’ve done”.

Earlier in the same year, Gilbert was charged with aggravated cruelty to animals and endangering the welfare of a child after police said she drowned a puppy in a bathtub in the presence of her young son. The prosecution at the murder case said Sarra killed her mother because Mari had been the one to get her arrested over the puppy’s death, and was said to have temporary custody of Sarra’s son too. 

Sarra was charged with second-degree murder and pleaded not guilty. Her attorney claimed she couldn’t be held responsible due to her schizophrenia. She had previously wished to plead guilty but her attorney had hoped she would be found not fit to stand trial and would get the help she needed. In 2017, Sarra was found guilty of second-degree murder. She was sentenced to the maximum sentence, of  between 25 years and life.

One unnamed juror told the Daily Freeman: “We feel that she has mental illness but she was also aware of what she was doing.” The same newspaper also reported the judge had told the court he’d “do his best to make sure the 28-year-old never walks free again”.

Sarra Gilbert remains in prison today. She is in Bedford Hills Correctional Facility in New York where she is reportedly also receiving mental health care. 

Stevie has stayed out of the spotlight

The third of Shannan Gilbert’s sisters, Stevie, was not featured in Lost Girls on Netflix. She has remained much more private. Not much is known about Stevie Smith, other than that she testified that it wasn’t mental illness that led Sarra to kill Mari, but drugs and long term hate, The Cut reported.

After Shannan’s death, Stevie also continue to fight for case to be re-investigated.

Lost Girls is available to watch on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news and drops like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.