Image may contain: Crowd, Head, Beard, Apparel, Coat, Suit, Overcoat, Clothing, Glasses, Tie, Accessories, Accessory, Human, Face, Person

Jeremy Corbyn says sorry for Labour anti-semitism

‘Obviously I’m very sorry for everything that’s happened’

Jeremy Corbyn has apologised for Labour anti-semitism, following controversy over the party’s handling of the scandal and his apparent personal reluctance to apologise.

In an interview with Holly and Phil on This Morning, Corbyn said: “I’m very sorry for everything that’s happened but I want to make this clear that I am dealing with it”.

Last week, Corbyn refused four times to apologise for anti-semitism in the Labour party during an interview with Andrew Neil.

Pressed by Philip Schofield, hangover-haver turned political rottweiler, Corbyn got as far as: “Can I make it clear, I and other parties-” before the exchange became marked by interruption on both sides.

Phil: “Just say sorry”

Corbyn: “I and other parties-”

Phil: “No! Just say sorry”

Corbyn: “Come on, let me say it. Can I just say something? Our party and myself-”

Phil: “I want you to say sorry”

Corbyn: “Our party and me do not accept anti-semitism in any form”

Phil: “So are you sorry for anything that’s happened?”

Corbyn: “Obviously. Obviously I’m very sorry for everything that’s happened but I want to make this clear: I am dealing with it. I have dealt with it.

“Other parties are also affected by antisemitism. Candidates have been withdrawn by the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives and by us because of it. We just do not accept it in any form whatsoever.”

Image may contain: Crowd, Tie, Beard, Overcoat, Coat, Suit, Clothing, Apparel, Accessories, Glasses, Accessory, Face, Human, Person

Corbyn had apologised for the handling of the scandal in the past, but the issue flared up again when Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis described Labour party anti-semitism as “poison sanctioned from the top”.

Addressing those comments, Corbyn told Holly and Phil: “I think the Chief Rabbi’s comments really ought to be taken for what they are. He hasn’t contacted me about it. I’m very happy to meet him. Very happy to talk to him. Very happy to talk to any representatives of any part of the Jewish community within our society.

“I recognise that antisemitism is a poison and it’s very dangerous. If it’s allowed to run on, you know what happens. You know the history of Europe in the 20th century.

“But any other form of racism is equally unacceptable, Islamophobia or anything else.”