The best places to have a cry in Leeds

If you’re going to cry, do it in style.

As the exam period ends and term begins, you’d be forgiven for thinking that stress levels are about to decrease. The reading list is that long, your first assignment isn’t that far away, and real life is about to hit you like a truck. Pile on top of that a healthy existential crisis (is your degree worth it?) and you’re on your way to a cracking tear-fest.

But don’t you fret, because the Tab has got your back (lovely, lovely Tab). Here’s a list of the best places in Leeds to treat yourself to a heart-wrenching sob.

Crispy’s

It’s been a long night, the girl you were grafting for all night went home with the hotter, funnier, less awkward version of you (you thought the dance moves were sexy, they weren’t), and you’ve got the blues. Where better to bawl your eyes out than surrounded by banging tunes and a disco ball, in the warm company of chips and quickly solidifying gravy? Come here, Cripsy’s will look after you.

Crispy’s always leaves you feeling better

Fruity dance floor
You’ve obviously drunk far too much (how else are you going to survive Fruity?) and so are on the emotional side anyway, so just let it all out. Nobody’s going to notice your tears when the J Beeb’s banger or the unforgettable Naughties throwback starts hitting the Stylus d-floor.

Edward Boyle

You’ve spent exam season vacantly staring at the walls of any and every library on campus, but if you’re going to let the emotions fly out of your tear ducts you should at least make sure it’s in the comfort of the £24.7 million Eddy B refurb. Newly refurbished with over 2000 seats, all of them perfect for a little self-pity sesh.

Hyde Park

The natural beauty captured in this lovely part of Leeds makes a great companion when you want to have a cheeky cry. Take a picnic and a book, plug in your earphones, and let the feelings flow.

LS6

This cosy lil café/bar is just the spot for all you wannabe-hipsters (why else would we go to Leeds?). Grab a couple of mates, get a few drinks down, and start having an emotional DMC listening to the Edgy Leeds soundtrack in the background.

Underneath the train station

This lesser-known gem is definitely the one for coping with a hard-hitting breakup. Both the noise of the trains above and the roaring water beside you make the ‘Dark Arches’ great for drowning out that horrendous ugly sob that inevitably accompanies such a situation. The chances that she’s going to take you back are about as likely as the 11:43 Leeds to King’s Cross service actually arriving on time. Sorry.

Your bed

Can’t move because of your exam-induced stress? Don’t have enough money to drown your sorrows? Don’t actually have any mates to invite along to LS6? When all else fails, never fear, your bed will always be there for you.

The cuddly toy is not optional.