LRFS 2014: A ‘Wanderful’ show!

Last week the Union was transformed as Leeds RAG fashion show took over. Here’s the lowdown on the evening.

On Thursday 27th February, Leeds RAG hosted their annual fashion show, a go-to event for the fashion-forward people of Leeds.

With tickets in high demand, the show had high expectations to meet… but it didn’t disappoint! Here’s the lowdown on the evening.

On arrival we were treated to a cocktail reception in the VIP lounge of the Terrace, where drinks were flowing and fashionistas were mingling.

We soon took our seats and it wasn’t long before the lights went down. The set by LOCO illuminated with pictures relating to the theme of ‘Wanderlust’, prompting the room to buzz with anticipation for the forthcoming spectacle.

Leeds student band called Purple Emperors provided some pre-show sounds, entertaining the crowd with their Mumford-esque vibe.

And then, SHOW TIME. Models stormed the catwalk to high applause, strutting to music by Flux. An eclectic mix of clothes was showcased, generously donated by big names like ASOS and American Apparel and new design talent including Emelia Bass and Leutton Postle.

The theme drew inspiration from the earth’s natural environments, with looks styled on the Northern Lights and the Arctic to name a few.

One of the more striking designs of the night was incorporated into the Burnt Earth theme. By Philli Wood, this bold and daring piece is sure to raise a few eyebrows

Later it was Dance Expose’s turn to perform for the crowd, raising the roof with some great routines. And a special mention goes to the group of girls singing a cappella whose vocals captivated us all!

The proceeds raised from this fantastic event will be going to two highly commendable Leeds-based charities: Sudep Action and SARSVL.

As well as the amazing clothes on show, there was also a Silent Auction with some incredible prizes up for grabs.

Items won included designer gear, autographed photos of model Rosie-Huntington-Whitely and her actor boyfriend, Jason Statham, and even coveted Justin Timberlake tickets.

With preparation beginning in May, many months of hard work by the committee, Leeds RAG and everyone involved had definitely paid off.

Models looked beautiful with their hair and makeup styled to perfection. The entire show was professional and ran smoothly from start to finish, it’s almost impossible to believe it was organised entirely by students!

We’ll be sure to make a return next year!