Calling all artists: Applications to design the Long Boi statue are officially open 

Applications will remain open until 15th October 2023

The University of York’s Student Union has launched an open call for artists to apply to design the memorial statue of Long Boi.

The statue, in honour of the York’s famous campus duck who recently passed away, will be funded by the £5,500 raised through the SU’s crowdfunding effort.

YUSU has said that it is looking for a talented artist or artists to design the outdoor memorial, hoping to provide a platform for them to showcase their work to a wider audience.

Applicants will need to submit a proposal for one life-sized statue of Long Boi, which will be mounted on a plinth by Derwent Lake, subject to planning permission.

The call is open to all artists, whether they are students at the Uni of York or not, and will close at 12pm on the 15th October 2023.

How can I apply?

Applications are open to all artists, who can apply by filling out this application form on YUSU’s website. Proposals need to outline designs for a 2 foot 4 (71cm) standing rendition of Long Boi, including what materials the statue will be made from, the facilities used to create it, a timeline for delivery, and how the statue will be mounted to a plinth.

Applications will consist of a completed application form, alongside up to five images of the proposed work, and a quote of how much the proposal would cost. This quote should be a detailed breakdown of how the funds are to be spent for the project.

Whilst £5,500 was raised in total through crowdfunding, only £3,000 is going to be allocated to the statue itself. The extra £2,347 has been put aside to purchase the plinth, cover installation costs and the statues upkeep.

Applications can be submitted to [email protected], with the email subject line: “YUSU/UOY Long Boi Open Call – [Your Name]”.

The SU has said it is open to alternative means of application, such as in the body of an email, or presented as a recorded video or audio description.

‘Keep Long Boi’s memory alive’

In the open call, York’s SU has said that the memorial aims to allow “staff, students, and members of the Long community” to “reminisce about His Royal Löngthness for years to come”.

Long Boi rose to fame online after pictures and memes referring his abnormal height went viral on social media, leading him to appear in national news, on James Corden’s Late Late Show, and on the BBC Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Greg James. YUSU has said that Long Boi “became an enblem and icon for the University.”

Back in May, news of the duck’s disappearance raised concerns for his wellbeing amongst students and across York. Shortly after, the university confirmed that Long Boi had passed away, news which sparked a national response as tributes poured in from across the country.

The fundraiser for the statue was set up shortly after, and YUSU has said the memorial aims to “retain Long Boi’s presence on campus for years to come to be enjoyed by students, faculty and members of the community, and keep Long Boi’s memory alive after his passing”.

Applications will close at 12pm on October 15th 2023, full details can be found here.

Featured image via Instagram @longboiyork and @yusupresident