‘We #StandwithUkraine’: York Vice Chancellor issues statement of solidarity

‘Like so many of you across the University of York, I strongly condemn this unprovoked act of war’

University of York Vice-Chancellor, Charlie Jeffery, has issued a statement expressing solidarity with the situation in Ukraine.

In an email sent out to students this afternoon, he described the invasion of Ukraine as a “clear violation of international law” and issued support to all affected by “this dangerous war”.

He also highlighted the collection drive for Ukraine held in the YUSU reception this week where items of clothes and toiletries can be donated.

The statement reads: “As a community, we are shocked and appalled by the Russian Federation’s invasion of Ukraine. Like so many of you across the University of York, I strongly condemn this unprovoked act of war. At the same time, we are in awe of the brave people – in Ukraine and in Russia – who are standing up to this clear violation of international law.

“Our thoughts are with any students or staff, as well as their family, friends and loved ones, who are caught up in this dangerous war. We have already reached out to all of our Ukrainian and Russian students to provide support to anyone put at risk by this terrible atrocity. We remain in close contact with many of them and will continue to help whenever needed.”

Charlie Jeffery also announced his support for the Show of Solidarity rally that will be held in solidarity with Ukraine on Saturday. The march will be held at 2:30 pm in St Helens Square and will be attended by York’s MP, Rachael Maskell.

Dr. Shane O’Rourke, Senior Lecturer in Modern History and Russian specialist, will also be giving a talk on the Ukraine crisis on Thursday 10th March at 7pm in the Bowland Auditorium in the Berrick Saul Building on campus. Free tickets can be acquired here.

The Vice Chancellor concluded by saying: “Help and support is available across our community for anyone impacted by these terrible atrocities. Please talk to your supervisor or line manager, or search ‘wellbeing’ on our website to find links.

“We #StandwithUkraine.”