In pictures: Thousands gather around the UK in protests in solidarity with Ukraine

‘Stop Putin, stop the war’

Over the weekend, thousands of people have gathered around the UK in protests against the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Last week, Russia launched a war on Ukraine with attacks by land and air. It’s been all over the global news, and protests have sprung up around the world against Russia’s actions and to show support for Ukraine. Here are images and quotes from those protesting, at some of the demonstrations here in the UK:

Downing Street, London

There was a huge protest outside Downing Street in central London. Cries of “stop Putin, stop the war”, and “support Ukraine” could be heard, with multiple Ukrainian flags waving in the air. The Tab spoke to a number of protestors including Andriy, 29, who Ukrainian but has lived in London since 2017. He said: “I’m most likely going to go back. I want to join the military; I will never forgive myself if something happened to my mum.”

Bristol

Hundreds marched through Bristol, calling on Russia to end its attack on Ukraine. There were lots of Ukrainian flags, and signs included “Fuck Putin” and “I stand with Ukraine”.

via SWNS

via SWNS

via SWNS

via SWNS

via SWNS

via SWNS

via SWNS

via SWNS

Birmingham

Around 1,000 people attended a gathering in Victoria Square in Birmingham, including Ukrainian people and some with friends and family still in Ukraine. Attendees held phone torchlights to show their support for the people of the war-torn nation and silence was observed. Amazing Grace was sung to the crowd by David Kettle, whose partner is from Ukraine, whilst other Ukrainians sung traditional folk songs.

Condemning Putin’s invasion, Natasha Wilson, originally from Russia, said: “I don’t know a single person back in Russia who supports Putin. Everybody back in Russia is feeling shocked and here too. We’re in a state of shock.”

via @tomeephoto

via @tomeephoto

via @tomeephoto

via @tomeephoto

Cambridge

The Cambridge University Ukrainian Society held peaceful solidarity protests on Kings Parade in Cambridge. Third year Cambridge student Tobia Nava attended and said: “It was a quiet protest, but the silence and bewildered faces showed how imprinting this day was for everyone. I decided to bring my camera to document the far-reaching effects of the Russian attack on Ukraine and to show the united people.”

Students at the protest told The Cambridge Tab: “Most of my friends are in bomb shelters as we speak”, “We are here to protect the freedoms of our countries, of our native cities”, and “We don’t want to be refugees, we just want to be safe in our homes.”

via Tobia Nava @artparkinglot

via Tobia Nava @artparkinglot

via Tobia Nava @artparkinglot

via Tobia Nava @artparkinglot

via Tobia Nava @artparkinglot

via Tobia Nava @artparkinglot

via Tobia Nava @artparkinglot

Nottingham

Hundreds gathered at Old Market Square in Nottingham. The crowd sung the Ukrainian national anthem and speakers addressed the crowd. Attendees included individuals from across Europe and three local Labour MPs.

A Ukrainian woman, who had travelled from Bristol to attend the demonstration, told the crowd that her father and brother were fighting in Ukraine. She called upon the crowd to sign petitions and talk about Ukraine. “Help us and we will do the rest,” she said. Multiple Russian people also stood to express disgust with Vladimir Putin and his decision to invade. “I have friends in Moscow and St. Petersburg who did not want this,” said one young, Russian woman.

Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh

A protest in Edinburgh was held outside the Scottish Parliament. One speaker, from Lithuania, said: “Ukraine is not fighting for Ukraine now. Ukraine is fighting for freedom and for Europe.” Signs read “send aid now” and “long live Ukraine”.