Students who break Covid-19 rules will risk expulsion from York

The university will take disciplinary actions

In an email sent to students this lunch time, Vice-Chancellor Charlie Jeffery has warned that students not complying with university regulations or the new Covid-19 laws, will risk facing disciplinary actions from the University of York.

The VC stated in the email:

“Any student, who does not follow the rules – many of which now have legal force- may find themselves facing university disciplinary action including sanctions ranging from warnings up to exclusion from the University of York.”

The email then goes on to reiterate some key points from the University of York’s Covid-19 advice, in line with the government regulations.

The rules of six and two metre distance from those not in your household must be followed at all times. Students must not “host or attend house parties on or off campus” , they must also always be wearing a face covering in communal enclosed spaces on campus unless they are exempt. Hand washing and sanitising when possible must be upheld throughout campus and the wider York city.

Failure to comply with everything the University of York and the government are asking, other aspects of student life will be impacted according the the York VC. This includes “the amount of face-to-face teaching we can deliver safely, sport, clubs and campus based events and socialising.”

There is also a new compulsory “Covid-19 Community Safety Module to be taken online via the Yorkshare VLE”. This module is compulsory for every student that will be receive any kind of on-campus teaching this academic year.

The module outlines “clear information” and will outline all “Covid-19 secure measures put in place by the university”, whilst also clarifying what the university expects from students and the new responsibilities anyone on campus has.  Students are encouraged to log into their VLE portal and take the module as soon as possible.

Whilst cases are increasing daily across the UK, the VC reassured students that York’s level of transmission still remains lower than the majority of the UK. Students must act responsible within the city on return to university, with students making up “10% of the total population of York.”

You can keep up to date with the University of York’s Covid-19 regulations here.