Image may contain: Urban, Apparel, Clothing, Car Wheel, Alloy Wheel, Spoke, Machine, Wheel, Tire, Human, Person, Transportation, Car, Vehicle, Automobile

York coronavirus helpline receives over 240 calls

Since it opened on Saturday

The University of York has received over 240 calls to their coronavirus helpline. The helpline was opened on Saturday, as the university set up a call centre dedicated to providing advice and answering any questions staff, students or the public might have. This call centre was opened as on Friday, one of the first two UK cases was confirmed to be a student from the University of York by Public Health England .

A university spokesperson told the York Press that calls had been received from "staff,students, parents and a small number of members of the public with general concerns and asking for information and guidance."

It is believed that around 200 calls were made on the Saturday alone, with over 40 more being made on Sunday. The helpline remains open today whilst the university remains open and working as usual.

Public Health England confirmed the first two UK cases of coronavirus on Friday after two people were evacuated from the StayCity aparthotel in York and sent to a hospital in Newcastle for specialist medical care.

In his statement yesterday, the vice-chancellor Professor Charlie Jeffery confirmed that the student did not attend the Chinese New Year celebration or recent graduation ceremonies.

The risk of contagion at the university still remains low according to Public Health England. In an email sent out yesterday to students, the university confirmed the student had not visited campus or any accommodation since being exposed to the virus. The university also told students in the email that they " will continue to provide as much advice, care and support as we can to anyone affected by this situation."

Public Health England also said yesterday that they were making "good progress" tracing people who might of come into contact with the infected individuals at the Staycity apartments.

A team of medical staff were called to Wentworth College yesterday, a postgraduate accommodation block causing further speculation. The University of York has since confirmed that this incident was not related to the coronavirus.

You can find up to date information regarding the coronavirus from the University of York here.