York confirms student with coronavirus wasn’t on campus at the time of diagnosis

The University says risk of infection remains low

The York student diagnosed with coronavirus was not on campus at the time of their diagnosis, the University has confirmed.

It was revealed yesterday that one of the two confirmed cases of coronavirus was a student at the University of York.

Following an investigation into where the student lived, a spokesperson for the University has said "the diagnosed student was not on campus or in student accommodation for the period before they they were exposed to the virus" and "was not on campus or in student accommodation after being exposed to the virus."

This was confirmed as a result of Public Health England's assessment of the situation and the University of York's own internal investigations.

Members of the university community can be assured that the risk of infection remains low.

Vice-Chancellor Professor Charlie Jeffrey issued a statement to the media yesterday: "We recognise that there is significant media interest in this situation but we would appeal to all of you to respect the privacy of those now under the care of the NHS, and our wider community of staff and students."

The University is continuing to monitor the situation closely in order to provide advice to students.

An update on the University's website this morning provides advice to people who are travelling back from China.

It says anyone who has travelled back from Wuhan or the Hubei Province in the last 14 days should "stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu" and "call NHS 111 to inform them of your recent travel to the area," even if they do not have symptoms of the coronavirus.

It also tells students to do the same if they have travelled from elsewhere in China (excluding Macao and Hong Kong), that they should follow the same advice if they develop symptoms of cough, fever or shortness of breath. Students are advised to follow this advice even if their symptoms are minor.

Featured image: Stock image via SWNS