Image may contain: Necktie, Crowd, Face, Human, Person, Overcoat, Apparel, Coat, Suit, Clothing, Accessories, Accessory, Tie

University of Huddersfield students call for Duke of York’s resignation as Chancellor

A motion was passed on Monday by the SU

University of Huddersfield students have called for Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, to stand down from his role as university chancellor.

This is because of his friendship with Jeffrey Epstein, the convicted paedophile.

Huddersfield's Students' Union passed a motion to campaign for Prince Andrew's resignation from his role as the university's ceremonial head.

Huddersfield's Student Union President, Emmanuel Haruna, said: "As part of our processes to give students a voice, a student has put forward a motion to lobby Prince Andrew to resign as chancellor."

The motion put forward states: "We as students at the University of Huddersfield and members of Huddersfield Students' Union should not be represented by a man with ties to organised child sexual exploitation and assault."

The motion had already been scheduled prior to Prince Andrew's interview with the BBC where he discussed his relationship with Jeffrey Epstein.

During the BBC interview, Prince Andrew suggested that he had "let the side down" when staying at Jeffrey Epstein's house. He also denied any sexual involvement with Virginia Roberts, an American woman who claimed she was forced to have sex with him at age 17, stating that he was in a Pizza Express in Woking at the time.

Huddersfield students have supported this motion on Twitter, using the hashtag #NotMyChancellor. Prince Andrew has been criticised as "he does not represent us students" and as a "sex-trafficking sympathiser."

A spokesperson for the University of Huddersfield told iNews: "HRH The Duke of York has long ties with the university stretching back to his first visit in 2001.

"He became its patron in 2013 and was then conferred as chancellor in 2015.

"As chancellor, he has taken a keen interest in the work of the university and has represented it in his official capacity on numerous occasions.

"His enthusiasm for innovation and entrepreneurship is a natural fit with the work of the university and every year the University of Huddersfield organises The Duke of York Young Entrepreneur Awards, which are promoted across universities throughout the North of England.

In relation to the allegations, The Palace has previously issued an emphatic denial and this was reiterated in the BBC interview with The Duke of York and we have nothing further to add."