The new 66 bus route will travel down Lawrence Street from January

Who would want to cycle or walk anyway?

New bus routes between the University and town are set to come into service next term, following an announcement by First York just in time for Christmas.

Filling in for the demise of the Unibus, the First York bus company has announced two new bus services as well as a revision to its existing 66 service.

The new ’66a’ service will run between the Heslington East bus stop where the 44 used to terminate, uphill from Langwith, and Merchantgate in town, stopping along Field Lane, Heslington West and Lawrence Street on the way. Finally, a bus service for all the rich, car-owning students of Boulevard and Student Castle.

The new ’66a’ service will run from Heslington East to Merchantgate via Lawrence Street and Field Lane.

First bosses say the new service will run from Monday to Friday every 20 minutes during term time, and is set to launch next year on January 9th.

Another new service, the ’66x’, will run once per day and travel from Merchantgate towards the University and onto Grimston Bar Park and Ride.

I didn’t know where Merchantgate was until I wrote this article. This is Merchantgate.

As if all of these changes were not exciting enough, First have also announced that the 66 service will now run past Kuda towards the train station, avoiding the congested area around Picadilly and Coppergate.

The 66 will still travel the same way back to the University though, meaning 11 buses an hour are set to operate from Merchantgate to the University.

A spokesperson for First York added: “We will monitor the 66 service over the Christmas holiday period to see if increased capacity or alternate routes are required and will look to make any further changes for the Easter Holidays 2017.”

First York have not stated whether or not student term passes will be accepted as tickets on board the new services.

Are you as excited as York’s Computer Science students?