The Duchess is set to close this summer

First Willow and now this?

Live music venue and the home of Phat Fridays, The Duchess, is set to close in the summer.

The building that houses the venue, Stonebow House, has been sold after the company that owned it went into administration.

Stonebow House will become home to 20 luxury apartments, shops and restaurants according to plans that are to be submitted to City of York Council.

An artist’s impression of how it will look

The Duchess will remain open until at least the summer, where it has hosted gigs for eight years.

Owner Matty Tunstall said: “We will be actively looking for another venue in York if a suitable one can be found.”

Reassuringly though, Phats will keep going strong. Ollie and Ben Webb, the managers of Phats, told The Tab: “The Duchess closure will not affect Phats. Phat Fridays will run until the end of term and will return bigger and better than ever. We’re excited to start a new chapter in the Phats story. More details will be revealed in due course.”

She can’t believe The Duchess is closing

The famous Willow nightclub closed last summer to the dismay of students, and this news is another blow to the vibrancy and variety of student nightlife at York.

Second year Ellie Meagher told The Tab: “I am heartbroken. Does York really need more shops and restaurants?!”

Chemistry student Zachary Henderson added: “After the devastation of Willow closing last year, I’m not sure how I’m going to cope with no Phats either.”

Nightclub Fibbers moved out of Stonebow House in 2014, and bookmaker Coral has left too.

Heron Foods is still open for business, as is the Havana Cafe & Cocktail Bar, which only opened recently. It is not yet clear how long these businesses will stay open.