Olympic star Dame Kelly Holmes is coming to York

She’s opening the new £2 million athletics stadium

Double Olympic gold medallist Dame Kelly Holmes is coming to the University of York to open the new £2 million athletics stadium and take part in a community fun run on 16th April.

The new 500 seater stadium also features a pavilion and athletics track, and is located next to the York Sport Centre on the Heslington West campus.

Dame Kelly, who won 1500m and 800m gold in Athens in 2004, told the University: “I’m delighted to return for a city I have affection for and to open new athletics facilities that have now changed beyond recognition from those I once ran at.”

York Sport Union President, Grace Clarke, in a press release said: “It certainly has been a year of success for Sport at York and I am absolutely delighted to welcome Dame Kelly Holmes to the home of the York Sport Union on behalf of the students.

“Having Dame Kelly on campus; inspiring and literally running alongside our student community, is such a special occasion and one that I am sure will go down in the University’s sporting history.”

Members of the public, including young families, non-athletes as well as students are welcome to attend the day. Two of the events taking place: the “Run with Kelly” and Q&A, are free ticketed events and require booking. A link can be found here.