Here are the hygiene ratings of Leam’s iconic student spots

Just how grubby is your fave?

Let’s be honest, us students tend to have quite low standards for hygiene. I mean, have you seen most Leamington uni houses? We don’t seem to care how clean the places are that we’re eating and drinking at, though we probably should.

This is why we’ve found out the hygiene ratings of Leam’s iconic student spots, according to the Foods Standards Agency. They inspect businesses based on three main criteria. Firstly, they check how hygienically food is handled, including its preparation, cooking and storage. Secondly, they check the cleanliness and condition of the facilities and building, such as the layout and ventilation. Finally, they look at the management of food safety, and rate the business out of five as of the time of inspection.

You should probably prepare yourself, as some of these will shock you. And some will be no surprise at all. Enjoy!

Viallis, 5/5

Let’s start off with the unofficial weekly location of Neon afters- Viallis. Everyone’s favourite chicken nuggets and fries provider was awarded an impressive five out of five by the FSA in 2019, much to the delight of Neon go-ers, I’m sure.

Their management of food safety and their hygienic food handling were rated good, and they even scored a very good for their cleanliness and condition of the facilities and building. I’m ngl, this makes me feel pretty reassured and I will most definitely be using it as an excuse to get Viallis next Neon.

See you next Friday xxx

Neon, 4/5

From the afters location to the club itself, let’s take a look at how well our Friday favourite did- because let’s be honest, Neon is the only acceptable club to visit on a Friday. Kasbah Fridays suck. Fact.

Anyway, I had no idea clubs were even inspected by the FSA but Neon did very well and scored four out of five at its last inspection in 2017. Though their cleanliness and the condition of the facilities and building were deemed generally satisfactory, their hygienic food handling and their management of food safety were both deemed very good.

Kelseys, 1/5

Kelsey’s rating from 2019 may not come as a surprise to anyone who’s been there before i.e. all Warwick students. Our beloved bar received a measly one out of a possible five and was told major improvement was necessary after their cleanliness and the condition of the facilities and building, and their management of food and drink safety was deemed sub-par.

But will this stop students chanting “spillage is lickage” and lapping up Eliminator from the floor during circles there? Probably not.

Five Rivers, 3/5

Leam is home to many an Indian restaurant- there are at least six within a 200 yard radius of the Parish Church (bit of Leam trivia for you). However, Five Rivers is the lowest rating one in that area, having been given three out of five by the FSA in 2021. Their hygienic food handling was rated good, but their food safety management and cleanliness and condition of the facilities and building were given the ol’ generally satisfactory.

Benjamin Satchwell, 5/5

A big congratulations is in order for the Benny Satchwell, better known to most of us as Spoons, for achieving five out of five in its 2019 inspection.

Their cleanliness and condition of their facilities and building was rating good, and they received a very good for their management of food safety and hygeinic food handling.

Bring on the Purple Rains

Moo, 2/5

Moo is a bar slash club in North Leam with pretty incredible decor- think post-it note covered walls and furniture on the ceiling. It is however more popular with Leam-locals than students, probably due to its proximity to Smack and Altoria (more on those later).

Sadly, Moo too was given two out of five in 2015. Boo.

Smack, 5/5

Weirdly, clubs are doing well in this list! Smack was given a stonking five out of five by the FSA in 2017, because their hygienic food handling was very good, their cleanliness and contain of facilities and building was good and their management of food safety was very good.

I assume everyone who has ever been to Smack is as impressed.

The Neighbourhood, 3/5

Next we come to The Neighbourhood. As of November 2021, North Leam’s food canteen was deemed generally satisfactory across the board and was awarded a pretty mediocre three out of five.

Hart & Co, 3/5

Ahhh, now we come to everyone’s favourite brunch location. If you haven’t been to Leam’s prettiest cafe/restaurant yet, what have you been doing with your time? No Warwick student’s Instagram is complete without a photo or two from Hart & Co.

This is why you’ll probably be surprised to find out, it was given a three out of five by the FSA, with generally satisfactory being given across the board.

The FSA may have given them a three, but their decor gets a five from me

Procaffeinate, 4/5

In the battle of the brunches, Procaffeinate comes out on top against its rival Hart & Co as they were awarded four out of five by the FSA in 2020. Upon inspection, their hygienic food handling was considered good, their cleanliness and the condition of facilities and building deemed generally satisfactory and their food safety management given a good.

Altoria, 5/5

Last but not least (lol sorry Kelseys) we come to Altoria. And its another club, another five out of five! In 2018, the FSA deemed Altoria’s hygienic food handling good, and their food safety management and their cleanliness and condition of the facilities and building were very good. I’m impressed.

Luckily, our favourite student spots don’t seem to be too grubby. If your favourite was missed from this list, search for it on the Food Standards Agency website.

Kelseys and Moo have been contacted for comment.