All the Gossip Girl fashion tips you should be copying to wear around Sheffield

A look at what Sheffield trends are inspired by Gossip Girl, and how we’re wearing them in Sheffield

As the leaves begin to fall, and the new semester gets in full swing, it’s time to swap your summer wardrobe for chunky knits and trench coats.  Though the dark, cold days can feel dreary, your outfits don’t have to be. To dress like an Upper-East sider is to be an Upper-East sider, and Sheffield knows exactly that. After consulting my sources, the Sheffield students have spoken and apparently South Yorkshire shares many fashion characteristics with Downtown Manhattan. Here are a handful of trends, bought from the streets of Sheffield, that scream Gossip Girl. Unfortunately, though girls, Nate and Chuck seem to be off the market.

Headbands

Spotted, Blair inspired headwear at Sheffield Station. Perfect for the windier days, practical and chic. An accessory that can bring together an outfit and says: “I made an effort this morning, even if you didn’t.” Fashion conscious students throughout South Yorkshire are pairing them with matching boots, and using them to add a pop of colour also seems a popular option in the steel city.

Academic attire

Via Netflix

A big trend right now around the Hallam city campus: Office and school attire. Think pleated skirts, blazer tops and button up shirts. Perfect for lovers of the preppy look. You’d fit right in on those steps. A similar look to the one B wears in almost every episode during their school days. This blazer from Zara would match great with a plain white buttondown. Thermal tights help with keeping warm. For a night out we tap into our inner Serena Van Der Woodsen with waistcoats that are S’ speciality. When it comes to fashion, we all have a thing or two to learn from her. A staple for Leopold Square, often worn to bottomless brunch.

Knee high boots

Via Netflix

Speaking of Miss Serena van der Woodsen, another thing we share in common? Knee high boots. Day or night, a knee-high boot is a university, nay, a life, essential. Day time lectures have seen tan, fur, and suede over a dark wash pair of skinny jeans. With Y2K making an appearance in the city, we’re almost diving into our TV screens. Students commented they found knee high boots to be popular on a night out too. Leather, buckles, chunky heels and square toes, you name it, we have it. I think Little J would be proud.

Chunky knit cable

Via @cjyhvjnsetjiui on Pinterest

Lily Van Der Woodsen, this one is for you. Sheffield seems to be keeping warm this autumn, through a variety of cable knit jumpers and cardis. Thick ones to be precise. Just like Lily through the seasons of Gossip Girl, the Moore is never short of oversized knitwear. Zara have a stunning new knit cardigan, perfect for the mid-afternoon seminars or coffee break between lectures.

Leopard print

The most popular outfit trend by far in Sheffield now is leopard print, and like Georgina, she keeps coming back. Even those who prefer a more monotone outfit have been seen sporting leopard accessories such as bags and hats. So, next time you’re planning your outfit for a lecture, job fair or a night on West Street, think about who you’re channelling through your fashion. Are you a Lily, Serena, Blaire, or Georgina? Maybe you’re a bit of them all.

Featured image via Netflix