Breaking News

BREAKING: Confirmed coronavirus cases in Sheffield rise to three

They’ve tripled in 24 hours

Coronavirus cases in Sheffield have risen to three.

The first case of Covid-19 to be recorded in the city was confirmed by health officials on Wednesday.

But this evening Public Health England’s online dashboard for daily updates on diagnoses, displays two more cases.

It comes as infections of the deadly disease across the UK soared by 140 – their biggest daily increase yet – to hit 596, and the death toll climbed to ten.

Boris Johnson progressed the country from a “contain” to a “delay” phase this afternoon, meaning social distancing measures could be implemented, after the World Health Organisation declared the virus to be a pandemic.

But the Prime Minister is under pressure to close schools and universities to stem the outbreak, following Ireland’s drastic step to move all teaching to online-only.

Sheffield University emailed students on Wednesday morning to say it was taking no action over the virus yet.

This is despite Durham shutting down classrooms to move online for the rest of term, with students told they can return home.

Official advice remains for anyone who has visited the worst coronavirus-hit countries to call 111 and self-isolate.

Mr Johnson announced today that anyone with a cough or fever will also be told to self-isolate for seven days from tomorrow.