Breaking News

Breaking: First case of coronavirus in Sheffield confirmed

They’re a resident

Sheffield has recorded its first case of coronavirus, health officials have confirmed.

Public Health England said the patient is a resident in the city and work to trace those who had contact with them is underway.

It comes as cases in the UK rocketed by their highest amount yet on Tuesday to 456, with six deaths. No cases had originated in Sheffield until now.

Helen McAuslane, Health Protection consultant at PHE Yorkshire and Humber, said: “This case is a resident of Sheffield. Close contacts will be given health advice about symptoms and emergency contact details to use if they become unwell in the 14 days after contact with the confirmed case.

“This tried and tested method will ensure we are able to minimise any risk to them and the wider public.”

It has not yet been revealed which suburb of the city the Covid-19 case is from.

It comes as the World Health Organisation this afternoon declared the deadly bug to be a global pandemic.

Greg Fell, Director for Public Health Sheffield said: “Firstly, I would like to send my best wishes to those affected for a speedy recovery.

“Sheffield City Council has been working closely with Public Health England, the NHS and all health and care partners to prevent further spread of the virus.

“With the arrangements we have set up here in the city, the risk is low to residents and visitors of Sheffield. We are in touch with Public Health England daily, making sure that we share relevant and timely information with the public and our partners.”

Coronavirus patients from elsewhere in the country are being treated at Royal Hallamshire Hospital, which houses a specialist infectious disease unit.

NHS advice remains for the public to wash their hands more often for 20 seconds, to maximise the chances of fending off the respiratory disease.

Anyone who experiences any flu-like symptoms, or who has recently returned from countries at the centre of the outbreak such as Italy or China, is urged to call 111 and self-isolate.

Related stories recommended by this writer

‘It can be lonely’: Coronavirus patient quarantined at Royal Hallamshire speaks out

Asian Sheffield student was called a coronavirus ‘killer’ in McDonald’s

Sheffield Uni calls all exchange students back from China