The Tab Oxford is looking for a new Editor

We want your applications by October 9th

The Tab Oxford is looking for a new Editor to take up the reigns at Oxford’s most influential student newspaper. 

We’re looking for a charismatic, driven, talented individual to set the agenda in Oxford. This is your chance to be part of a prestigious, innovative and forward-thinking news organisation.

As Editor, you will have overall responsibility for all the stories we put out. All section editors report to you. Your role involves everything from assisting with sub-editing, chairing weekly team meetings, and making sure we break the biggest stories and showcase the best writing in Oxford.

We make a big deal about how we can help young journalists get jobs, training and money. You cannot get these opportunities anywhere else.

We’ve arranged for dozens of our best students to do work experience at the Mail on Sunday, the Independent, the Sunday Times, the Evening Standard, BuzzFeed, the Mirror, and many more places.

How do we get it? We’re friends with senior people at every national newspaper and media company in the country.

Former Oxford Editors have had full-page columns in The Sun, staff jobs at the Independent and furthered their studies at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.

Former Editor Shakeel Hashim’s full-page column in The Sun

Our national audience is three million people every month. To put that in perspective, that’s the population of the Gambia, everyone’s favourite West African country.

What they say about us

“The Tab are great because they combine brilliant professional support and education, with a voice which students enjoy and relate to. I have hired Tab journalists and taken them on work experience, because they are always prepared for the demands of online news”
– Luke Lewis, Editor, BuzzFeed UK

“They turn aspirational students into talented journalists who do proper, original reporting for their peers. Tab journalists start with the interests of their readers, and make sure they cover the news students care about, in a style they want to read”
– The Telegraph

“The Tab covers what matters to its readers – stories from inside university life. When newspapers come to recruit graduates, this is what they look for.”
– George Brock, Head of Journalism, City University London

“Since graduating from Cambridge a year and a half ago, I’ve written for the New Statesman, Vice, GQ and the London Review of Books. I now work as a Staff Writer at BuzzFeed UK. I honestly don’t think I would have had any of these opportunities had I not worked for The Tab during my time at university. The skills (and CV points) that I gained from the experience have proved invaluable”
– Tabatha Leggett, Staff Writer, BuzzFeed UK and former Tab Editor

“Traditional student newspapers – with few exceptions irrelevant, conceited and tedious – might be the very weakest corner of the media firmament, but you can only beat what’s in front of you, as they say. I hope thousands more students will have the same fun we had running The Tab and that some of them will become journalists, as – amazingly – more than half of our team has done.  Nothing speaks of the The Tab’s brilliance better than that.”
– Joshi Herrmann, Features Writer and runner up for Young Journalist of the Year at the 2013 Press Awards, Evening Standard

How to apply

Email [email protected] with your CV and a cover letter explaining why you should be Editor by October 9th.