This is what’s happening at the St. Catz Arts festival

Philistines beware

| UPDATED St Catz Arts Festival

Second week approaches, so why not get your Trinity off to a cultured start by making it down to St Catz for a week of week of music, workshops, and art.

Here’s your roundup of the festival’s highlights: get cultured and ‘pencil’ them in, it’s set to be a busy week.

Watch the disturbing trailer and then check out the events Catz have lined up for you.

Monday

Launch night with stand-up comedy

8pm – St Catz Bar

Get the week off to a chuckly start with sketches and stand-up from members of the (semi-)famous Oxford Revue.

Tuesday

Student Film-Makers and Live Score Event

8pm – Bernard Sunley Lecture Theatre

Amongst the four short films being shown is 2013’s Going Under, which saw won awards for its score (composed by Dan Baboulene) at the London Film Festival.

Both Going Under and 1896 will have their scores being performed live on the night.

Wednesday

Performance from the Burn After Reading Poets Collective

7.30pm – St Catz Bar

This will be the BAR Collective’s Oxford debut (they’re from London).

They include among their ranks the Young Poet Laureate of London, Aisling Fahey, as well as a number of runners-up for the title.

Come down to see if there’ll be a mutiny.

Thursday

Performance and Workshop from the Broad Street Dancers

7pm – Bernard Sunley Lecture Theatre

Not only will we be treated to a dazzling performance from this acclaimed dance group, but there’ll also be the opportunity to learn a move or two from the dancers.

With a wide range of styles covered by the group (Ballet, Tap, Contemporary, Lyrical Jazz, Jazz, Street and Hip Hop), there’s sure to be something for everyone.

Who knows, maybe you’ll start a trend by putting what you learn to use at Cellar next week.

Friday

Tom Davies on ‘Art and the State – and the state of Art’

2pm – JCR Lecture Theatre

This is going to be a big one. St Catz will host artist and lecturer Tom Davies, who currently runs life-drawing classes at the London School of Painting and Drawing and has worked at the Slade and Chelsea School of Fine Art, as well as been exhibited at the Whitechapel Gallery.

He’ll be talking about the various tensions between the political motivations of commercial figures in the art world and will discuss the impact that such interactions have had on art today.

Plus some of his own painting will be on show. Not to be missed.

Sunday

‘Film in the Woods’: Immersive Screening of Secret Film

8.30pm – Back Lawn of Staircase 21

Now, this one’s a bit wacky. It’s a free screening of an undisclosed film in the woods bordering the college – beginning at sunset and with complementary tea. Not for the faint-hearted, this is sure to be the most interesting horror movie experience in a while. Keep an eye on the event page for clues.

Saturday

Catz Writers’ Showcase and Open Mic Night

5pm – JCR “pit”

A night of live poetry, prose and dramatic monologues followed by an open mic session in the mysteriously named JCR “pit”.

This relaxed event is open to spontaneous, last-minute slots – so turn up & spit some bars if that’s how you roll.

Expect everything from sly wit to tender emotion, sweet violin melodies to passionate Flamenco guitar, they say. Should be great.

On-going throughout the week:
(*) + Visual art and photography exhibition (Bernard Sunley Building, Room C)
(*) Light Installation in Quad (Virginia Russolo)
(*) Light and design Installation in JCR (Nathan Caldecott)