George Green is definitively the best uni library, tell me I’m wrong

It just can’t be beaten

As my time at the University of Nottingham comes to a close, I am confidently able to confirm which library is the best to study in. Having spent the majority of my first year camped out in Hallward and then searching for the least crowded library during the pandemic, I have tried them all.

Whether you are a local engineer or just sick of Hallward, George Green is the library for you. It is perfect for quick study sessions in the morning or long hauls into the night. With its three vending machines providing an elite array of snacks and hot drinks and its six floors, there is guaranteed to be a space that suits your needs.

You may question why I have instantly disregarded all other libraries so, I will briefly touch on the only other two that temporarily had my heart before the beloved George Green stole it: Hallward and Djangoly.

In the kindest way possible, Hallward Library is classic. Whilst Hallward is conveniently located, its upper zones are just depressingly old and musty, this is why the majority of people collect on the lower floors. This makes these levels impossible to study in unless you are able to work amongst the constant chatter of students who seemingly don’t understand the purpose of a library.

The Djanogly Learning Resource Centre can be found in a picturesque spot along the water on Jubilee Campus. Whilst this library is architecturally stunning, the interior layout is not my favourite. The study desks wrap around the walls of the library in a spiral so whenever anyone moves through the library, everyone knows about it. I don’t know who designed this building but I take their lack of consideration for the acoustics incredibly personally.

But you’re not here for Hallward or Djanjoly so let’s move back onto the why you are here, George Green.

Looking for a big space to study with a group? C floor has the bookable rooms where you can sit in a board room style space to really get your professional head on. While I enjoy all of the C floor rooms, in my opinion C04 and C11 are elite; they can be found on opposite corners of the library so have two walls of windows giving the space loads of natural light and stunning views.

Prefer silence and being in solitary? If you are willing to trek, or just get the lift, up to E floor, there are single-person study pods that provide the perfect space for isolated and focused study. During my final year, I have lived in these pods and they have improved my productivity tenfold. The pods are placed in the middle of silent zones and there is an intense productive aura across the entire floor.

If you are someone who can’t work in silence and prefers the hustle and bustle of a cafe, the ground floor not only has a cafe study space but, has a Starbucks. I have found that this zone is perfect for when I am settling in for a light-hearted study sesh and a hot chocolate. If you think the temptation of Starbucks being metres away is too much then, B floor provides the same vibes without the constant whir of coffee machines.

Potentially a point that some might not even think about but, quite possibly one of the most important features of any library is the number of plug sockets. George Green is fully stacked with an infinite number of plug sockets that are reachable from all seats in all zones so your laptop is never going to run out of charge – unless you forget to bring your charger.

If you haven’t tried George Green then you really must. It is perfect for all kinds of work and I promise that there is a zone for you that will improve your productivity, and your grades.

A definitive ranking of the best places to study on UoN campus

What your study space on UoN’s campus says about you

Need to detox after deadlines? Here are some of UoN’s cutest doggies