Man charged with sexually assaulting woman on Derby Road in Lenton

The suspect is appearing in court on May 28th.

CW: Mention of sexual assault and sexual violence

A man has been charged with sexually assaulting a woman as she walked down Derby Road in Lenton at 6 pm on May 12.

The suspect, Roman Kuszmnskis, was tracked down half an hour after the incident occurred and was apprehended on the junction between Derby Road and Harlaxton Drive.

Kuszmnskis is due to appear in court on May 28.

The distressing event occurred on Derby Road in Lenton.

On Wednesday 12th of May, at around 6pm, police say a woman was grabbed inappropriately as she walked down Derby Road in Lenton.

The police subsequently tracked down the suspect to the top of Harlaxton Drive at the junction with Derby Road.

Roman Kuszmnksis, 29, of Faraday Road in Lenton, has been charged with sexual assault, and will appear at Nottingham Magistrates Court on May 28th.

Speaking to Nottinghamshire Live, Amy English, Neighbourhood Inspector, stated: “Response teams were instantly dispatched to the area following the report and were able to locate a suspect nearby…our enquiries have led to a man who now awaits the court process.”

Derby Road is a popular area among the students of both the University of Nottingham and Nottingham Trent, with many student houses being on or around the street.

Sexual harassment and assault in Nottingham is not uncommon. Earlier this month, The Tab Notts spoke to Nottingham students about their experiences of sexual assault. They described harassment in the city as  “persistent” and almost “normal”, as if to be expected.

• NTU is live streaming Falcon chicks that are nesting in it’s Newton Building

• Notts Trent student who did ‘Joker’ impression before assaulting others in halls pleads guilty

• Nottingham firefighters still at scene of Dunkirk blaze