How to survive in an all-boys house during lockdown

It’s confirmed, boys are a different breed

After living in an all-female household for the last year, I decided to move in with my boyfriend and his mates for the first lockdown. Being the only girl in a house of six 20-something men was an interesting experience to say the least. With lockdown 2.0 back for more, here are a few tips on how to survive if you find yourself in a similar situation.

1. Brush up on your competitive trash talk

Everything, and I mean everything, in a lads house is a competition. From day long Fifa or Mario Kart tournaments to who can wash up the best, it’s a contest – and if you can’t beat them, join them. It’s actually quite fun.

‘Throw the rock at the cup’ was a personal favourite of my house

2. Resist all urge to mother

It can be pretty easy getting caught in the trap of tidying up around them or trying to run the place as if it was your own but realistically, nagging gets you nowhere. If Brad wants to sit in a pile of his own filth and not change his boxers for three days (can say from experience this happens…ew) that’s down to him, not you. Try not to get caught up in it.

3. ‘If this is where I put it, this is where it stays’

Gone are the days where pizza boxes and beer cans go in the bin, jackets are hung up and blankets are folded…welcome their new home, the floor! Although it looks a mess, somehow, someone will always know where they left it. Need a pen? There’s one under the pile of blankets in the corner.

‘This is my home for the next week’

4. They’ll love a feminine touch here and there

Popping a scented candle on or adding a throw cushion or two on the sofa will be really appreciated. Their tough exterior will disappear with a whiff of ‘Amalfi lemons’ or ‘French vanilla’ candles.

5. Don’t take it personally

If you want an honest opinion, ask a guy – they won’t beat around the bush and try to sugar coat it. If your new coat looks terrible or the guy you’re talking to is a total tool, you’ll know. It can seem really harsh at first but deep down you’ll know they’re right and it’ll stop you a whole lot of worrying.

6. Know that you’ll learn to love it

Regardless of how gross they may seem at first, being in an all boys house is great. It was so easy going and I was made to feel so welcome. 10/10 would lock down in an all boys household again if I had to.

They are the best group of people you could wish to be involved with!