Image may contain: Toe, Finger, Person, Human

A guide to tactical voting this Thursday in Nottingham, for Leavers and Remainers

Make your vote matter.

Regardless of your position on the European Union, it is important to get out and vote if you are registered. If Brexit is your biggest cause of concern and you want to vote tactically, this is a guide on how to vote on Thursday to get the outcome you desire.

RELATED: Notts students, who is getting your vote this Thursday? Information on all the candidates standing in Nottingham's student areas.

But first, here are the answers to a few commonly asked questions:

What is tactical voting? It is when a voter votes for a candidate who is not their first choice in order to keep someone else out. For example, if you support the Liberal Democrats in a seat where only Labour and Conservative can realistically win, you may decide to vote for Labour in order to get a second referendum and prevent Brexit. Likewise, you may be a Brexit Party supporter in a seat where only Labour and Conservative can realisitcally win and, therefore, vote for the Conservatives in order to stop Labour winning and getting a second referendum.

Why might I want to tactically vote? Some people tactically vote because they want their vote to have an impact on the outcome. Votes for some parties under the current system are 'wasted' because they do not affect the result. Others say you should vote with your heart, no matter what.

Why does the need to tactically vote exist? The British electoral system (first past the post) means the candidate with the most votes in a seat wins. The % of votes a party gets nationally is not proportional to the % of seats it gets in Parliament. For example, the SNP in 2017 got 4.7% of the national vote and got 35 MPs, whereas the Liberal Democrats recieved 7.9% of the vote and got 12 MPs.

The Tab Nottingham does not have a position on tactical voting, Brexit or the British electoral system and seeks to remain impartial. Nor does The Tab endorse any particular candidate.

If you are registered to vote in Nottingham and are unsure of what constituency you live in, go to this website and enter your university’s/hall’s postcode: https://members.parliament.uk/constituencies/

Constituencies (A-Z):

Broxtowe

Want to leave the European Union without voting again next year?

Who to vote for: Darren Henry, Conservative

Why: This is a marginal seat. Only 800 votes separated Conservative and Labour in 2017. The Brexit Party have stood down and the former Brexit Party candidate supports Mr Henry. This is a must-win seat for the Conservatives.

Want the chance to vote on Brexit again?

Who to vote for: Greg Marshall, Labour Party

Why: To win here, Labour needs tactical votes. In this marginal seat, Labour came second in 2017, 800 votes behind the Conservatives. Although Anna Soubry (The Independent Group for Change, formerly Conservative) was the MP in the last Parliament and is a Remainer, the majority of tactical vote websites suggest voting for Mr Marshall. Ms Soubry, as a candidate for TIGfC is predicted to pick up “no more” than 25% of the vote, according to YouGov.

Image may contain: Attorney, Executive, Face, Suit, Coat, Overcoat, Clothing, Apparel, Person, Human, Accessories, Accessory, Tie

Greg Marshall is the suggested candidate to back for voters who wish to vote again on Brexit. (Image: BroxtoweLabour)

Gedling

Who to vote for: Tom Randall, Conservative

Why: This is a target Conservative seat where the Conservatives have always polled around 40%, but never reached high enough levels to take it.

Who to vote for: Vernon Coaker, Labour Party

Why: Mr Coaker has been MP for the seat since 1997, however, would appreciate tactical votes in his favour. This is a target Conservative seat which Labour will need to defend.

Nottingham East

Who to vote for: Victoria Stapleton, Conservative

Why: This is one of the safest Labour seats in the country and is unlikely to change. However, the Conservatives are the second-largest party.

Who to vote for: Nadia Whittome, Labour Party

Why: This seat is 70% Labour and Labour should win it again without tactical votes. The former Labour MP Chris Leslie is standing for The Independent Group for Change, alongside other Remainers from the Liberal Democrats and Greens, but none have a realistic chance of challenging Labour in this seat.

Nottingham North

Who to vote for: Julian Carter, Brexit Party or Stuart Bestwick, Conservative Party

Why: According to #Unite2Leave, this is a “plausible” Brexit Party target seat. They were placed second here, 300 votes shy of Labour, in the European Elections. However, data and trends seem to suggest more heavily that the Conservatives will hold onto second place. Regardless, the seat seems unlikely to change hands.

Who to vote for: Alex Norris, Labour Party

Why: Mr Norris won this seat in 2017 and is best placed to win it again. Labour should hold onto it regardless but would appreciate some tactical votes nonetheless.

Nottingham South

Who to vote for: Marc Nykolyszyn, Conservative Party

Why: This seat is unlikely to be won by anyone but Labour. However, the Conservatives are the second-largest party here.

Who to vote for: Lilian Greenwood, Labour Party

Why: Ms Greenwood has been MP for the seat since 2010 and is best placed to win it again. Labour should hold onto it regardless but would appreciate some tactical votes nonetheless.

Rushcliffe

Who to vote for: Ruth Edwards, Conservative

Why: Under Kenneth Clark, this seat has been held by the Conservatives since 1970. Tactical votes from Leavers for the Conservatives will put this seat beyond all doubt (as the loss of an incumbency sometimes results in lost votes).

Who to vote for: Cheryl Pidgeon, Labour Party

Why: Due to the loss of incumbent of Kenneth Clark in this remain-leaning seat, this has become a target for both Labour and the Liberal Democrats. Although the Liberal Democrats believe they are in a shot of taking this seat, having topped the poll in Rushcliffe in the 2019 European Elections, they have never performed well here in general elections. Labour is the second-largest party and the most likely challenger.

Cover image: Pixabay