A new Co-op has opened besides University Park campus

The store will cater to students

After months of speculation, a derelict site besides Broadgate Park student accomodation alongside University Boulevard will now welcome a new Co-op supermarket.

The new supermarket, a two minute walk from Broadgate Park in Beeston, will hold a Costa coffee, hot food-to-go, an in-store bakery, as well as a wide selection of student favourite food.

Image may contain: Vehicle, Transportation, Motorcycle, Person, People, Human

The Beeston store is the second Co-op food store to open in Nottingham this summer, following the opening of their store at Bramcote Lane at the end of June. Combined, the two stores represent a dual £2.25 million investment into the communities, creating 30 jobs.

The store opens today and offers students a 10 per cent discount with a valid NUS extra card.

Tom Spooner, the Beeston store manager, remarked at the store's opening “We are delighted to have the opportunity to carry out such significant investment", remarking on the stores worth and asset to the surrounding student and residential community.

“We are investing in our people, stores, products, prices and communities – our aim is for our store to be at the heart of local life, bringing communities together and offering great quality products, when and where our members and customers need them."