Image may contain: Parade, Crowd, Puddle, Person, People, Human

BREAKING: UoN UCU members have rejected a proposed agreement to end strike action

Over 150 members were present for the vote.

Members of the University of Nottingham branch of the University and College Union (UCU) branch have rejected a proposed plan to end the industrial action.

The agreement, proposed by Sally Hunt, national general secretary of the UCU and Universities UK (UUK), was sent to members of the Nottingham branch yesterday evening and was considered by UCU higher education and branch representatives today.

An open UCU branch committee meeting was held at 10am today outside University Park campus south entrance to assess the USS agreement. The meeting continued for three hours before an outcome was reached at 1pm.

The response letter published by the University of Nottingham UCU branch states that whilst they, "greatly appreciate the extensive efforts that our negotiators have invested and the difficulties they have faced… the proposed deal concedes far too [much]"

The Nottingham branch fears that by accepting this deal they would be betraying their members but also the labour movement in general. They state that this deal is "bad for students and bad for staff"

The strikes at Nottingham have severely affected a number of departments during the four weeks of strikes, the Departments of Culture, Film and Media, the Department of Cultures, Language, Area Studies, and the Deparments of History being hit the hardest.

The hashtag #NoCapitulation has trended nationally on social media, among academics and union branches who do not feel that the deal is sufficient to end strike action.

The full text of the letter sent to members of the UoN UCU is included below: