Stop pretending you’ve only just started liking Justin Bieber

If you can’t handle him at his Pop Party 2, you don’t deserve him at his i-D cover

“Omg I’m actually a belieber wtf????”

This has been the most paraphrased, repeated statement on social media in the last few weeks. Well you know what? I’ve had it up to here with these fair-weather Beliebers.

Never say never, Andy.

Let me begin by saying no one is a bigger advocate for the rebirth of Bieber than I. He has the voice of an angel, an affable personality and I’m delighted he is finally getting the credit he deserves. But I have always Beliebed.

So why is it only now with the help of generic house artists like Diplo and Skrillex that he’s finally getting recognised as a legitimate artist? Biebs loves a filthy banger. There’s no denying that What Do You Mean and Sorry are absolute club-destroyers. But he’s ALWAYS been dropping bangers.

His last album, Believe, saw the release of tunes like Beauty And A Beat and As Long As You Love Me- all heart-popping screamers. His first, mainstream album- which launched him into the spotlight- produced gems the like of Baby and Never Say Never. We all secretly love these tunes.

What has changed is perhaps the greatest PR turnaround in the history of celebrity perceptions. Since James Corden posted his Carpool Karaoke with Bieber earlier this year, Justin has been on a one man mission to rectify his image.

Every interview and appearance since has been textbook, he’s thrown himself into challenges with Alan Carr and spoken deep from the heart on the Ellen Show. It only takes a quick scroll through the comments to see what a change these interviews have had on people’s perception of the Big B: “wow this guy’s actually really down to earth”, “omg had no idea he was such a nice guy wtf”.

With his image revitalised, the final step was to adapt to popular music trends (just house) and collaborate with artists who were killing it in the mainstream.

Where Are Ü Now turned the tables on what a Justin Bieber track sounded like and was basically the anthem of everyone’s summer. Now, it is not only no longer social suicide to Belieb but downright demanded.

To these people professing their newfound love for the Biebs on social media I say shame on you. Where were you now when he needed you? The question is, is it too late now to say sorry?