Notts Feminists are running consent classes to tackle lad culture on campus

They also want to get lights on The Downs

Notts feminists and the University of Nottingham Women’s Network are launching consent classes at Nottingham to help tackle lad culture. 

Their other plans, that are still being developed by the committee, include lobbying for more street lighting, especially on Uni Park in areas such as The Downs and routes to and from Hallward at night.

The consent classes are set to be launched in November, and will work alongside the existing Nottingham HeForShe campaign, which  kicks off Wed 30th Sept in the Keighton Auditorium.

Womens’ Officers Emma E and Emma Q said:”Continuing the work on tackling lad culture was a part of our manifesto and something we feel strongly about.
“However, we haven’t prepared a specific campaign yet so we don’t have a lot of information on exactly what to do about it.

“This is something we’re going to discuss with our committee and aim to campaign about next term. What we are doing so far is being involved with the HeForShe campaign which has now been launched at UoN and one of our aims with that campaign is to tackle lad culture!”

Other ongoing campaigns by Nottingham feminists include the  @NottsSexism account “NottsSexism” hashtag on Twitter, for students to tweet about their experiences of sexism and sexual harassmen started by UoN Fems. Tampon Tubs are also due to be placed in women’s toilets all across every campus.

Events coming up include:

• Women’s Network Meet and Greet, Thursday 1st October in Mooch – 7-9pm
  • Pub Quiz – With the Women’s Network, FemSoc, LGBT Network, and BME Network (Dates and times to be confirmed)
  • Body Confidence Week (Dates and times to be confirmed)
  • Chalk Walk with Hollaback! Nottingham (Dates and times to be confirmed)

For more information, follow the UoN Feminists on Twitter @UoNFeminists, and for @NottsSexism, and on Facebook at UoN Feminists.