Palma Violets

A raucous show at the Bodega gets the plaudits from TOM BARNES

Monday 1 October, the Bodega

Palma Violets made a triumphant return to our very own Bodega for the first leg of their first UK headline tour.

Catching up with the band before the gig, bassist Chilli told The Tab, ‘this is the best place to play. Nottingham’s a wicked place.’ The band kicked the tour off with the sort of raucous show that has gathered them the praise of BBC’s Steve Lamacq and their hero Nick Cave.

It was exclusively revealed to The Tab that their debut album was half recorded and would be ready for release in January 2013.

Ex-UoN students Childhood warmed up the crowd nicely with a set full of echo, reverb, and delightfully ‘80’s dreamy guitars and vocals.

Then headline act Palma Violets brought to Bodega all their finest punk clichés: moshing, stage-diving and crowd-surfing. The band themselves were guilty of all three at the close of their set which also saw them trash their own drum kit and launch their beloved maracas into the crowd.

Their set energetically tore through fan favourites such as ‘Tom the Drum’ and forthcoming single, ‘Best of Friends,’ finishing on imaginatively named new song, ‘New Song.’

Palma Violets return to Nottingham was a resounding success. Next time you see them, it’ll no doubt be at Rock City.

If you were wondering whether the band were named after the disgusting perfumed sweets- ‘we’re big fans of Swizzles’ the band revealed.