Fresher arrested in his dressing gown on the way to Tesco

He said he just wanted to buy some juice

| UPDATED alcohol Crime drinking drunk jail juice Norfolk norwich party police

A 20-year-old fresher was arrested on Friday night wearing just his dressing gown.

Micha Horgan, a first year American Literature and Creative Writing student, left his house on Prince of Wales Road at 11.40pm to go and buy some juice for a house party.

He was carrying a mug of cranberry juice and wearing nothing but a dressing gown when he was tackled to the floor and arrested for being drunk and disorderly.

He said: “There were people partying upstairs, the least I could do was bring juice.

“Call me eccentric, but I’m of the belief every guy and girl should be able to pop to their local shop with a cup of tea or juice in hand.

“Even, God forbid, in a dressing gown.”

Micha had not intended to be outside his house for long so was wearing neither socks nor underwear – merely his boots and a dressing gown.

He held £1.72 in one hand and keys in the other, as well as a glass of cranberry juice.

As Micha walked past Rocco’s bar he noticed two policemen approaching from behind.

He said: “Out of the blue, both officers grabbed me. I told them they had no right to do so. And when one officer lunged for my glass, all hell broke loose.

“Their intention was to get me into the van. I don’t think popping to the shops has ever been so complicated.”

During the struggle, the cord of Micha’s dressing gown came undone and he found himself half-naked on the Prince of Wales Road.

Micha continued: “It was humiliating. I asked a number of times to be allowed to tie my gown on properly. It was a cold autumn evening – enough said.

“I asked several times but my request was repeatedly ignored. I also asked that my glass, which contained nothing but juice, be kept as evidence of the fact that the glass didn’t contain alcohol. I asked that the glass be returned to me at a later date.”

His request was denied and the glass was “disposed of in a bin.”

Micha was then handcuffed. He said: “They were on way too tight. I was concerned about the blood flow to my wrists and it was only at this point, out of concern, that I responded with more urgent language.

“Nobody should be exposed and treated like that in public.”

Micha had apparently been approached on the basis that he looked like he was drunk and disorderly, despite only having had a couple of glasses of wine with his dinner.

Micha with his penalty

At the station, he asked to be breathalysed and had an alcohol level of44mg. While over the driving limit of 35mg, a level of just 9mg more would still not have caused Micha to be intoxicated.

Micha added: “I spent the night in a cell. I was given a paper copy of my rights and asked if I wanted a duty solicitor. I asked for one. This never happened.

“I rang through the receiver in my cell to ask again. The request was repeatedly ignored. At 11am the next day I was released without ever speaking to a solicitor.

“When I asked why, they said there were none free.”

He said of his prison cell: “You know those blue sports mats they use for PE? You sleep on a variation on those.

“Eventually I was given a blanket. I had no socks on and they took my shoes to avoid potential hangings. It was certainly a little chilly.”

Micha was slapped with a £90 fine for his behaviour, issued by a PC Wilkinson.

It says “YOU (Offence particulars): Were verbally abusive, swearing in view of the public.”

When contacted by The Tab, Norfolk Police said: “He was seen in the street with a glass of alcohol in a designated no drinking zone and was subsequently arrested.

“He was taken to Wymondham police investigation centre for questioning and he was issued a fixed penalty ticket the following day upon release.”

They added: “The male was asked to provide a voluntary breath test as part of the risk assessment process when he was booked into custody. This is standard protocol for detainees who appear intoxicated.”

When questioning the police further on Micha’s claims, we were told they had no more information to give.