I guessed the star sign of every Manchester based bus service for no real reason

The 50 is a Gemini, two always come at once

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a student in Manchester must endure the 142 during rush hour. If you live south of the Whitworth, the decision to flash the driver your bus pass or drop two pound coins in the tray is a loaded one – just how bothered are you about getting home within the next hour?

A jammed bus headed towards or away from town is never pleasurable, even if you arrive on time and manage to avoid Manchester’s crazy bus folk. Despite the occasional loathsome experience (I am directly referencing you, passenger-who-called-me-a-tramp), you can’t deny the city’s network of transport is affordable and (mostly) very efficient.

Naturally, we decided there was no better way to honour Transport for Greater Manchester than to give each popular service a Zodiac sign so, the next time the 50 is late, you can blame it on her being a Gemini.

250

We start with the 250. The 250 is smug and extremely pleased with the fact she’s making her way towards the Trafford Centre. Even the number (even, divisible by five) sounds like a dazzling cash prize. The 250 is a Leo: Confident, dramatic and you can’t tie her down (due to her minimal services a day). 

142/143/42/43

Here come the Ol’ Faithfuls, the 140s and their little siblings, the 42 and 43. They’re all Capricorns and Virgos – practical, reliable and dependable. You can live in Manchester without being aware of the timetable for any of these four buses as they are so regular.

I can look past the stint on the Curry Mile every weekday as they’re too good to me on the weekends – 15 minutes straight to the centre. Any route direct to Piccadilly I also interpret as a Libra or Sagittarius – nights out in the city for the socialite signs.

Bus Full/Sorry, Not In Service

“Bus Full” is an Aries. Reading that sign makes me feel as if every single passenger already inside is gloating – they’re in the club and I am not. Aries is stereotyped as the most arrogant sign of the Zodiac, so I believe this to be what they are thinking. I am also an Aries. 

Alternatively, “Sorry, Not In Service” is either a Pisces, Cancer or Aquarius. The sweet apologetic tone reminds me of their intuitive and emotional traits. 

50

The 50 comes in pairs: It’s a twin, it’s a Gemini. You’ll be waiting for the 12:16, which is late, but it’s fine, the 12:24 is just behind. She’s late too, so you stick out until the 12:32 – any minute now. By 12:40, two sister 50s arrive with a “Sorry, Not In Service” in tow.  Where were you when I needed you most? Geminis are adaptable and it seems the 50 adapts to a completetely different schedule to the one we were promised. Taurus too. 

111

Finally, the 111 is a Scorpio. The numbers and the destination “Southern Cemetery” – just a pure, evil vibe. Need I say more?

Other stories recommended by this writer:

• We checked out Bastille’s insane Candlelight gig at Manchester Cathedral

• A definitive list of the top 10 Manchester guys to avoid on Hinge

• Our top booze-free activities in Manchester for a Sober October