We checked out Bastille’s insane Candlelight gig at Manchester Cathedral

We closed our eyes, and it almost felt like nothing had changed at all.

We find it hard to believe that there are any students out there unfamiliar with Bastille’s Pompeii. For the last ten years, it’s practically become the unofficial anthem of Depot Manchester, or the signature backdrop to Squirrels on karaoke night. The band is a student staple.

So, as you can imagine, when frontman Dan Smith announced a Candlelit performance at Manchester Cathedral on October 16, we knew it wasn’t an event to be missed. The gig celebrates the release of Smith’s unique and creative new album Ampersand, to be released on October 25th. Here’s how the night went:

Manchester Cathedral, as usual, looked stunning in the dusk; its unique and beautiful architecture a perfect match for Bastille’s expressive phrasing and emotive tone. Although Manchester wasn’t polite enough to give up its signature showers in respect for the artist, the venue seemed all the more cosy and welcoming after a brief wait in the wet, and we chatted to a good few excited students in the queue. Amy, a 19 year old second year at Manchester Met, was particularly excited to hear the new music, while 21 year old Keira at University of Manchester was desperately hoping that a cheeky rendition of Pompeii would be thrown into the setlist.

Well, we have to admit we were taken aback even before Dan Smith took to the stage. Said stage, surrounded by countless candles, was truly a sight to behold, so much so that Mr Bastille himself seemed in awe.

“Woah… are we here, are we even real?” was Smith’s reaction to the intense atmosphere. “You can tell we don’t hang out in churches that often,” he added later. His dry, somewhat self-deprecating humour was a consistent highlight of the night. Not only is Smith a fabulous singer, but delightfully down-to-earth and instantly likeable.

For tonight’s performance, Bastille’s frontman was joined by a small group of other very talented musicians, and their harmonies with Smith’s deep breathy voice in the first song Intros & Narrators was nothing short of stunning. Seasons & Narcissis presented a curious and unique romance tale between a narrator and himself, and Emily & Her Penthouse in the Sky, a gentle swaying song that becomes progressively more emotive, sings of American poet Emily Dickenson’s story. The album, according to Smith, is all about people “who I think are fascinating,” and his ability to tell stories through music was something we thought to be especially captivating.

The rest of Ampersand continued to impress. We noted the deep heartfelt notes and rich vocals of Eve & Paradise Lost, and the way the falsetto chorus of The Drawbridge & The Baroness, racked with emotion, tugged on the heartstrings. This was one of Smith’s favourites, he said, but our favourite had to be Leonard & Marianne. The violin accompaniment and potent backing vocals had us really quite emotional.

Telegraph Road told the story of Smith himself, as the first song he ever wrote, and it was his turn to be a little emotional now as he added that his parents were in the audience. And, of course, what night with Bastille would be complete without at least one run through of Pompeii, but as we’ve never heard it before. This was a deep and heartfelt acoustic version, although that didn’t stop us (silently) screaming along to the chorus as if we were in Depot raving to it as usual, of course.

“Blue Sky and the Painter was the best,” said Isabelle, a second year at University of Manchester, whom we spoke to after the concert ended. “The way it touched on depression and mental health was so poignant, yet gentle. I loved it.”

Bastille have long been a favourite with students, and Ampersand is proof that Dan Smith has plenty of tricks up his sleeve to make sure it stays that way. We absolutely adored their Candlelight session at Manchester Cathedral, and many thanks for inviting us to review it. We’ll certainly be thrilled to have them back in the city that we love – see what we did there?

Ampersand will be released on October 25th, 2024.

Other stories recommended by this writer:

• A definitive list of the top 10 Manchester guys to avoid on Hinge

• Our top booze-free activities in Manchester for a Sober October

• 10 places to take your date in Manchester (with prices included)