UCU strikes paused at Uni of Manchester after proposal from university bosses

Four days of strike action already took place last week

Industrial Action strikes UOM

Planned UCU strike action that would disrupt teaching this week will no longer go ahead after a resolution has been made.

Five days of strikes were previously scheduled for this week by the members of the University of Manchester University and College Union (UMUCU). The industrial action has been paused whilst lecturers consider the offer that they received from the university bosses.

The industrial action was over the pay deductions received by those that took part in the Marking and Assessment Boycott (MAB).

The University of Manchester said in a statement that it was “very pleased” to announce that the strike action will be called off with “immediate effect”

The university had withdrawn 50 per cent of striking participant member’s pay, drawing criticisms from union supporters. Half of the deducted pay will be returned to staff, however union members have not ruled out further action to recover the full amount.

Originally, strikes were due to take place at more than 140 universities this week. However, some have been called off following talks between union branches and university bosses.

Staff at Uni of Manchester did strike for four days last week and participated in the strike as planned on the first day of the academic year.

The University of Manchester released a statement late yesterday afternoon: “In continuing to work with representatives from our local branch of the University and College Union (UMUCU), we are very pleased to report that this afternoon (Monday, 25 September) it was agreed that strike action will be called off with immediate effect.

This follows our latest offer to only withhold only 25 per cent of pay for those staff who participated in the MAB. We will make appropriate adjustments to colleagues’ pay in their October salary instalment.”

University of Manchester has ranked 23rd in The Times Good University Guide

• ‘It’s laughable’, Manchester students given £500 for not having degrees before graduation say

Looking for a new society? Come and write for us at The Manchester Tab

Featured image via Google Maps