Sixth formers left ‘devastated’ after Manchester Uni sends them offers in ‘error’
Hours after being accepted, students were told they had received an ‘incorrect email’
The University of Manchester told sixth formers they had places at the University, only to then say this was “incorrect”.
On Monday, the University contacted a number of students informing them they now had a confirmed place at the Univerity, only to send them a follow-up email a few hours later apologising for the “incorrect email” which was sent to them.
The students have now been told their applications are “currently on hold awaiting a final decision.”
Manchester Evening News spoke to a student who described it as a “devastating” blow after two weeks of confusion around his A-Level results.
The student told the M.E.N: “It has made me angry because things have been changing over and over again. I still don’t know if I’m going to uni in September.
“I’ve got one month to prepare and I don’t know anything. I don’t even know if I need to start revising for the next exams because I’d like to take them again if I need to.”
One mother said on Twitter her daughter had been distressed by the email explaining her offer was incorrect, saying: “A very sleepless night was spent by all”. Thankfully, her daughter’s university place is now secure.
After being told they had an offer, students were then told this had been sent “in error”. The follow-up email explaining this said the University “hope to make a final decision on your application shortly”.
The follow-up email suggests that “capacity constraints” are to blame for the fact that these students were placed back on hold, due to the fact that some courses are “restricted in numbers”.
A University spokesperson said to The Manchester Tab: “We offer our sincere apologies to applicants for any further stress and confusion we have caused.
“Our staff were working extremely hard over the weekend processing thousands of pieces of additional data since receiving last week’s updated exam grades.
“However, on Monday 24 August, a number of emails were sent out to students which contained incorrect offer information.
“The issue was identified quickly and we have since contacted every applicant who was impacted to resolve the matter as promptly and efficiently as possible.”