Everything you need to know about the UoM Student’s Union Safety Initiative

The SU have released a statement detailing how to keep as safe as possible as a student

The worrying rise of crime targeting students, specifically those based in the Fallowfield, Withington and Rusholme areas has inevitably caused some unease amongst the student community since the return to university this September.

Shocking figures show that 133 crimes were reported in August of this year, and there has been a recent influx of posts on pages like Fallowfield Students Group warning people of recent break-ins and muggings.

As well as a recent petition started by a third year University of Manchester student urging Manchester's mayor Andy Burnham and Greater Manchester Police to ensure student's safety, the University of Manchester Student's Union have released a statement detailing how to prevent crime happening in student areas, and how to stay as safe as possible. Manchester's SU have also stressed that this information should apply to all Manchester based students, not just those studying at The University of Manchester.

"To all students and residents, since students have returned to Manchester there has been a spate of criminal offences taking place around Fallowfield, Withington and Rusholme. The Student Officer team at Manchester Students’ Union, are aware of these incidents and we are taking the safety of our students very seriously."

"Just this morning, The Student Safety Group, which consists of representatives from Manchester Student Union, Greater Manchester Police (GMP), Manchester City Council, University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University and Manchester Metropolitan Students Union met to discuss the best ways to work together to ensure the safety of students.
We are working on a number of initiatives to help students feel more secure."

A "Night Owl" scheme

The scheme consists of student volunteers that will be trained in first aid, safe guarding, well-being training and self-defence to safe-guard vulnerable people.

Increased number of street lights in student areas

Fallowfield, Withington, Rusholme and other areas will have added street lights. The street lights will all be LED so are brighter and therefore offer more protection from dark streets.

Free emergency taxis

Manchester Students’ Union also has a scheme set up with Street Cars that allows students to give a Street Cars driver their student I.D if they have no money so they can still get a safe taxi home rather than walk.

Increased police patrols

GMP have increased patrols for areas where there are high levels of criminal offences to act as a deterrence to criminals .

Door to door safety tips

There has also been work done by Manchester City Council, Manchester Student Homes (MSH), Greater Manchester Police and Manchester Students Union to knock on the doors of hundreds of homes to provide information of safety precautions that can be taken by students. They are also working on handing out personal alarms that can be collected from UoM Student Union.

The WOLF campaign

MSH have also set up a campaign called WOLF (Wary of Light Fingers) to raise awareness of professional thief’s that steal your possessions whilst on a night out or walking down the streets.

Manchester Student's Union are also urging students to take responsibility for their own safety.

"We cannot stress enough the importance for everybody to consider their own personal safety. Please make sure your door is locked at all times, even if there are occupants inside the property. Never leave the room with your window open, especially on the bottom floor. It takes 5 seconds for a burglar get through your window. Never, ever, let your friend go home by themselves. Get a taxi home with them. Be alert at all times whilst walking down streets, especially when you are on the phone or have head phones in."

"Make sure you ring the police immediately if you see suspicious behaviour or criminal activity and report hate crime to Manchester Student Union as we are an official hate crime reporting centre."

"If you would like any more information on these policies or would like to discuss anything further, please contact the Community Officer, Jack Houghton."