Cockroach joins romantic meal on curry mile

Roach curry anyone

A couple who were tucking into a romantic meal at Mughli, along the curry mile, found a giant cockroach the size of a £2 coin in their dish.

Stu Beevers, 28, claims he found the insect in his chicken kerala while dining at what is considered by many as one of better curry houses along the mile.

Extra cockroach plz

His girlfriend Natalie Roberts, 27, said the pair had been left disgusted by the grim discovery and, in protest, left the restaurant without paying.

She said: “It was massive. As soon as we saw it we both just felt sick and wanted to get out of there.

“We pointed it out to the waiter and were asking for an apology but we got nothing.

“It seemed all they were interested in was getting the plate off us and getting rid of the evidence, I made sure I kept hold of it and took a picture.

“It’s disgusting. We went because it’s meant to be one of the more upmarket restaurants on Curry Mile but this just isn’t on – we want to warn people and make sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else.”

The romantic couple from Stockport are now set to report the incident to Manchester Council and say the unwanted ingredient left Stu vomiting all night following the meal on Saturday.

Upon the discovery, the restaurant said that they closed immediately and are now carrying out a full investigation.

Mughli, which also has a restaurant in Knutsford, was given a four-star (very good) rating during its last inspection way back in October 2012 by Manchester council food hygiene officers.

The restaurant in question

Property Development student Josh, who was notified of the event by his mum, said: “I’ve eaten here before with the family and I can confidently say it is one of the best curry houses along the strip.

“I can’t believe it can be rated the best yet you still find cockroaches in a curry.”

Blunt second year Tom from North Wales said: “I’m never eating there again”

A spokesman for Mughil said: “Immediately that the allegation was received, an apology was made and the restaurant closed with no more food being served to allow us to make a full investigation.

“From initial reports it does not appear that the insect was cooked in the curry dish.

“Allegations such as this are taken very seriously – with no previous history of such incidents it is just as important to us as the customer to establish how this happened.

“We are a family-run restaurant of 23 years and we, our staff, family and friends eat here all the time.

“Every precaution to find out where the cockroach could have come from has been made and we have passed it to our hygiene specialists for further investigation.

“Vermin is a problem in the area but we are very pro-active in managing it. “We have regular visits from our hygiene specialist and no evidence of any cockroach activity had been found on the visit prior to and immediately after the alleged incident took place.

“We will, of course, continue to look into this matter and find out how this could have happened.”