Foul play: Man United fans jeer at cheap student tickets

Football fans slam students for bagging cheaper Man United tickets from the SU

Football Manchester students Tickets United

We’re used to being loathed by the locals – and now Manchester United fans are up in arms over a number of selected cheaper match day tickets offered to university students.

Red card: Manchester SU is under fire from Man United fans

And it’s all kicking off – with little to cheer about so far this season, United fans have found their voice in venting their anger at Manchester Uni students.

The outrage comes after the SU have been offering cut price tickets to University of Manchester students for less popular midweek fixtures.

And us jammy students have been getting a pretty hefty discount – lower demand for cup games has seen the club offer a few hundred tickets at a discounted rate of £24 in comparison to the usual £37 for regular season ticket holders in order to fill the Old Trafford stadium.

Foul Play?

The move, however, has received poor support from the United faithful, with a number of fans taking to Twitter to vent their frustration at the decision.

Paul Caton tweeted directly to the club: “I’m a season ticket holder. What about me?”

Gard Sandford wrote: “What a joke? Talk about looking after your season ticket holders!”

The cheap seats

Students appear to have applauded the move by the club’s offer of concessionary tickets, with a Union spokeswoman saying:

“It’s been quite popular with the students. They go quite quickly but obviously they have to show a valid student ID and have to be prepared to show it at the ground.

“We’re an outlet for Manchester United. They set the prices. We don’t get them for every game, just on an ad hoc basis.. “We get a couple of hundred at most. United set the price and we just sell them. We’ve been doing it now for a year.”

Jammy students are snapping up the cheap tickets

And a spokesperson for Manchester United said:

“Alongside the Club’s concessionary prices for children and young adults, Manchester United has also been working with local schools and universities for several years to offer more younger fans the chance to attend matches at Old Trafford for a reduced price.”

Is this an own goal by United? Or simply a good way of attracting support from the local community? Have your say below.