Loughborough College students win Young Enterprise

The students have gained national success

Loughborough College students, Harry Rudkin, 22, and Jonah Boyce, 22, creators of 3-Six Sport have taken home the top title in this years Young Enterprise Competition. They were not only awarded with Young Enterprise Start-Up Company of the Year 2017, but also won the Best Presentation title.

This was not the only success story for Loughborough at the competition, however, as fellow students Hanna D’Arcy and James Teagle also reached the final, making Loughborough one of only two colleges to make it so far in a competition with a university majority.

The Sports Science students had to give a Dragons Den style presentation as well as an elevator pitch at their trade stand, for their product The Stud Master. The design is a durable and universal product for the purpose of attaching and removing sport boot studs. The inspiration for their design is from the many years the pair have spent playing rugby. Jonah explained that, “Throughout us both playing rugby for years we had used inferior products which were not durable and not reliable – some breaking after the first use. We decided a simple solution to a simple problem was needed and came up with the high quality, effective and universal Stud Master”. 

Harry Rudkin also received individual recognition for his contribution to the company, as Managing Director. He was awarded with the title of Student of the Year.

Harry explained, “I still can’t believe we have won. I never thought I would be any good with the whole world of business and bringing a product to market but it has been a fantastic experience. Who knows what might happen next?”. The two are clearly very excited and encouraged by their win, and the future of their company.

Head of the Foundation Degree in Business Management at Loughborough College, Iqbal Ullah, never doubted the pair, and praised them on their professionalism, saying “There has been genuine desire, professionalism and, importantly, realism and the result is a very effective and well-oiled machine.”

The future is bright for this company, with a potential sponsorship deal from a major sport company being offered less than 24 hours after their big win. Soon the team will be heading off to the Helsinki finals to represent their product and Loughborough even further.

Photo Credits: Iqbal Ullah with thanks to Elizabeth Udall.